Line questions Line questions Line questions Line questions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Line questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to use braid. I stopped running dipsy's. Changed back to mono. #17 trilene test holds up to/against any fish your going to take out on Erie. 15+ yrs now.
    Pulling meat, unless you are using jets or dipsy's. You don't know actually what true depth you are running. So a dive curve is only a guide. As is the trolling guide. A guide. Not an exact number.
    Way to many other factors that aid/take away from the "guide".
    Yes you can get a bit more depth from braid due to it's thin size and no stretch. But I can get any bait down to 65+ ft using weights up to only 3 oz and I have run upto 10oz and 8oz. And I don't have to let out 180+ ft of line to do it and still add weight. If that makes sense.
    Just like everything else out there. There are folks who get paid to use and tell you/everyone they use said product/products because they are the best. As soon as sponsorship/freebies stop. They change product most everytime. Here is something that might help with your decision. Not my actual data so take it for what it is.
    Line questions-depth-difference-jpg
    Last edited by ebijack; 12-31-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Way to many other factors that aid/take away from the "guide".
    Yes you can get a bit more depth from braid due to it's thin size and no stretch.
    Line questions-depth-difference-jpg
    So awesome to finally hear someone else say this!!! Way too many factors affect what depth you're actually achieving.... Use these guides as a starting point, but see where you are actually hooking up with fish. Every one of my rods has a tag on it, i write the lead on each one with a dry-erase marker... As we start catching, I'm tracking which rods are doing well, and the rods that aren't catching get changed to the program that is. Also, how many times are you marking fish at 25 feet, but not catching those fish - but catching like crazy at 15 feet? Sometimes they don't want to see the bait in their face, but they'll come way up to get it.

Anyway - I use 30# PowerPro braid, yellow... works awesome on big boards. I can't say how it performs with inline boards....

Good luck!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't post a clearer message.
    I have absolutely NO disrespect for Keith! Keith and his wife are awesome folks!
    I've known Keith since the early 90's. Beginning of WC. He helped with info over the years. And we have helped Keith when we could. Quite a few random breakfasts meet ups near Lorain before heading out. Besides out on the water.
    I was referring to having to label poles. 15,20 rods you need to know what is what.
    "I know pooh bear also marks depth of each rod with dry eraser on a tag attached to each rod.I have been using masking tape to record leads on each rod.I will also mark color of spinner and number of fish caught on the rods.This will help in the first hour or two to help zone in on depth and color fish biting that day.Initially, we try and cover entire water column to see what depth fish biting.But will be sure to put line or two in depth you or pooh bear caught the day before."
    When running 4,6 or 10 rods. I know what has what. And 2 rods are dedicated. One on bottom and one in the upper 10ft range. As typically the largest fish of the day comes on that rod.
    I haven't seen Keith in quite a few years. I had to sell my boat. And good friend and fishin buddy "The Migrater" docked at Beaver Creek( Dennis) moved back to MO. So not alot of chances to get like I used to.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Sorry I didn't post a clearer message.
    And I'm sorry if I read it wrong! I've just heard the chatter enough.... people that have fished right beside me, behind me, in front, where ever..... maybe at 10 or 11AM I've got 36 plus a few extra on the cleanup, and they've only got 5..... same story every time it seems "they must be running 30 lines".... 20, 24, 30, whatever. No, that's not the case. We just figured out how to quickly identify exactly where the biting fish are, and then run 16 lines right there. If you pull 10 fish from an active pocket of fish each time through, it doesn't take long to limit.... and it doesn't require over-rodding either! It only requires paying very close attention to the leads and colors of the first few fish !!!!!
    And true - that can change - so you always leave a couple other rods looking high or low, whatever, unless it's a frickin' bonzai! Then I'll set everything the same and watch the chaos unfold!!!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing