When we first adding weight to cranks asked Pooh Bear how he did it.He used a 7ft fluorocarbon leader think 10lb with snap on one side and swivel on other.Then we would put sinker with loop on both ends on line then leader then crank.Basically weight 7ft from crank but could not take off line.Which is just about length sinker got to rod tip and could still land fish.Last few seasons prefer the snap weights.Most guys I've read put the snap weight 20ft in front of crank and that is what we do and works well.I usually put on 2oz of weight but sometimes run 1oz.Have tried 3oz,but they pull so hard that the boards do not run well.If figuring out depth of crank with weight, I total length of line I have out and look at chart for depth of that lure and lead.Then add 4ft per ounce of weight to get depth want crank to run.It is also easier to store rods with snap weight since just put crank on rod eye and I put weights in pocket or another area in boat.Have not had problem of losing them,but I do loop them on line so that line is going through release twice.You also have to be carefull with tangles using weights.You cannot bring a weight on outside board over line with no weight.I run my weights on inside boards or weight all on one side.