Memorable/big fish you have caught? Memorable/big fish you have caught? Memorable/big fish you have caught? Memorable/big fish you have caught?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember a day during the Walleye run back in the early 1990's A friend of mine and myself put in a small 12 ft. boat at Orleans Park in Perrysburg. Right off the bat we had trouble with the outboard so we drifted down stream perhaps 500 yards and was able to get back into some slow water on the South bank. We had waders and all so we decided to fish from there and drag the boat back at the end of our day.

Long story short I think the limit was 10 per person back then. We both caught our limit easily, but what sticks my mind the most were two specific fish I caught oneof the fish a male weighed 6 pounds, but the odd thing about was is that it did not have any eyes. It never had ever had eyes!! Just skin and it was a strong healthy fish. The other memorable fish from the same day was another jack that weighed about the same. It had a hog ring tag in its lower jaw marked ( Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources), but that is not the odd part. The memorable part was that I caught it by the hog ring.. lol I have a living witness who just shook is head that day.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    I remember a day during the Walleye run back in the early 1990's A friend of mine and myself put in a small 12 ft. boat at Orleans Park in Perrysburg. Right off the bat we had trouble with the outboard so we drifted down stream perhaps 500 yards and was able to get back into some slow water on the South bank. We had waders and all so we decided to fish from there and drag the boat back at the end of our day.

Long story short I think the limit was 10 per person back then. We both caught our limit easily, but what sticks my mind the most were two specific fish I caught oneof the fish a male weighed 6 pounds, but the odd thing about was is that it did not have any eyes. It never had ever had eyes!! Just skin and it was a strong healthy fish. The other memorable fish from the same day was another jack that weighed about the same. It had a hog ring tag in its lower jaw marked ( Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources), but that is not the odd part. The memorable part was that I caught it by the hog ring.. lol I have a living witness who just shook is head that day.
    Wonder how the warden would view this today??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Wonder how the warden would view this today??????
    Well its hard to tell. It was by the mouth, much more so than some of the eyes we catch on cranks that seem to be hooked all over the face sometimes.. And it was not mentioned as to whether it was kept or not. I just cannot recall?
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Well its hard to tell. It was by the mouth, much more so than some of the eyes we catch on cranks that seem to be hooked all over the face sometimes.. And it was not mentioned as to whether it was kept or not. I just cannot recall?
    And that's my story and I'm st st st sticking to it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

We were trolling off Huron just days before hurricane Sandy hit by the deep dump about 10 miles out.Were trolling with big boards with mix of cranks and harnesses and was catching numerous fish Ohio walleye.We were at 15 fish when had another big eye coming to the net.My dad was driving the boat when the captain yelled to turn right when the big fish was swimming away from the boat.Well my dad turned boat to the right but the captain yelled no not that way,turn the other way.My dad then turned his chair around to see what was going on in the back.The chair swiveled to a point where his feet no longer reached the floor and he started to slip off his chair.By now a 9lb eye was close enough to net,or do I go help my dad.I made a stab at the eye knowing I only had one chance while the captain, holding the rod held my dad up with his behind.We got the eye and dropped it in the back then got my dad before he fell.By now he had turned the wheel of the boat and we were 90° to our line.The captain turned off the engine and lifted both outboards out of the water.We spent next 45 min untangling everything and went in.Was the most impressive cooler of fish I had been a part of during my 40 yrs of Fishing Erie.