A modified crappie rig with a 1 oz. weight is my go to rig. I get the ones that I use at Tibbles Marina. They have 2 eight inch arms instead of the short arms found on traditional crappie rigs and eliminate most tangles with the hook(s) getting tangled with the main line of the rig. I also use a quality snap swivel on each arm to eliminate twisted snells. With red #6 tru-turn hooks or the Eagle Claw twisted hooks very similar to the tru-turns.

I haven't used a spreader in over ten years, got tired of a perch shaking off the other minnow while getting it under control for hook removal, the crappie rigs do not eliminate all of the lost bait but reduces it by at least 1/3. I want to make it clear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the spreader system it is a proven fish catcher. I never use a three hook setup as I feel it wastes to many minnows with shake offs once the perch clears the surface.

The skipper9 rigs are also fantastic perch jerkers proven without a doubt to catch fish. I really don't believe there is a bad system for catching perch but I feel there are systems that take away the aggravation that some times goes with certain systems.