Back in the day, I accumulated a lot of forward weight lures. Erie Dearies, Reef Runners, Tom's, Tiny Teasers, Parrishes, you name it. As time went by and fish started hitting more on worm harnesses, weapons, spoons, and crankbaits, in general, these went into the box and rarely saw the light of day.

70% of the time I go out fishing alone. When I go out with family or friends, I will bother to set up the trolling gear. By myself, I just don't justify the time, effort, and cost in gas to put out two poles.

Well nothing is easier to cast than a forward weight lure, and with the number of fish being caught this year, I have done something on a more regular basis that I haven't done for years (minus once or twice a year for kicks). I've been drifting/casting with forward weight lures.

In 2 trips on the lake I've put 10 keepers in the box using them.

Now I'm not saying this isn't a fluke, I'm just saying, with the number of fish out there... it's worth a shot if you still have them kicking around.

When you think about it, it makes some sense. Last time I saw the lake with this many fish in it was when the hatchery on south bass was still running, in the early to mid 90s. Back then hardly anyone bothered to troll. It wasn't needed. Packs of boats would be bunched up drifting and casting.

Man, it would be neat to return to that for a few years, as it looks like we have had a couple really good hatches in a row....