I am not going to defend anyone at all in this thread except to say that unless someone knows the name of the boat, then don't "speculate" and get everyone bashing a captain that wasn't involved.
I am not a captain, I don't Charter. I have casted and I run big boards...
being that Sara-J appears to be getting some blame here, and the original poster didn't use any names, even said he wasn't sure, please be really careful in attacks on a specific boat.
I do not know Gary of Sara-J. I've never officially met him or talked to him.
However, over the past 8 years of me running big boards I have probably fished in the same areas and packs as him and been around his boat as much or more than anyone in this forum. I have never seen him disregard boating protocol, and have never heard him being a jerk on the radio.
Accidents do happen. I'm not defending him, nor saying that no one has had an issue with him.
I am saying that I've been within 100' of his boat dozens of times over the years, and "as a whole" he is a good captain. He doesn't deserve "credit" for an issue that the original poster doesn't even know who it was.
He definitely doesn't deserve a bunch of bad PR from this board when we don't know who it was.
This forum has always been the best on the web in my opinion because we have great contributors and we don't have the drama of other sites.
If Gary ran over your boards and cussed you out, and kept your gear, feel free to post an accurate account of that.
My problem with what is going on here is that everyone "trolling" these forums and the general public read this and form an opinion of Sara-J charters and Gary, and he may or may not even be the boat involved.
There was nothing wrong with this thread at all until speculative names of boats were thrown into it. Those of us who fish the Western basin already know potential culprits without anyone mentioning names.
By the way... there are more than 2 white Cats on the West end of Lake Erie.