walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase! walleye and perch limits 2017 increase!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

How does this impact how many fish anglers remove from Lake Erie, do they limit the number of licenses sold, modify how many fish anglers can keep, adjust the price of a license? Also how do they estimate how many fish anglers remove?

Perhaps the numbers are to limit the commercial fishing numbers which seems may be easier to measure and control?

I by no means am trying to stir a pot or troll here... just curious on how the numbers are measured and regulated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tac

Total Allowable Catch. Netters can catch more. Have not seen anything yet about sport fishing limits going up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not read the law myself, but what I have seen on other sites, posted by knowledgeable individuals, is that the rod and reel bag limit ceiling is cast in stone (or at least by law). It can be lowered, but it cannot by raised unless the actual law is changed. Thus, it will stay at 6 for walleye (4 in March-April) and 30 for perch.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Tangled. I think I'll will wait for the Official announcement of limits due out shortly. Look at the 20% just what does that mean yes 1 to your daily catch, give me a break....I have been happy with the limits as set currently be it for walleye or perch.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BtweenShots View Post
    I agree with Tangled. I think I'll will wait for the Official announcement of limits due out shortly. Look at the 20% just what does that mean yes 1 to your daily catch, give me a break....I have been happy with the limits as set currently be it for walleye or perch.

Gene
    I don't think there is a law on limits it's just up to the ODNR to set them by May 1. I hope they don't increase because the one's in place have worked fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I got word today from a friend in the know that the state will release the new limits either today or tomorrow. As far as my source knows there will be no changes from the past several years. Walleyes will remain at 6 per angler per day and yellow perch will remain at 30 per angler per day in the western basin. I didn't ask him about the central and eastern basins but they will most likely remain the same.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled Lines View Post
    I have not read the law myself, but what I have seen on other sites, posted by knowledgeable individuals, is that the rod and reel bag limit ceiling is cast in stone (or at least by law). It can be lowered, but it cannot by raised unless the actual law is changed. Thus, it will stay at 6 for walleye (4 in March-April) and 30 for perch.
    Are you the Capt. John who worked radio station WHHH 1440 with me in Warren Oh a few years back? He had a radio show about fishing and I was a frequent guest. His boat was Tangled Lines. Is that you?

Post Thanks / Like

No, I previously owned the boat owned by Wakina.

Post Thanks / Like

Total Allowable Catch(TAC) is an agreed upon number of maximum harvest levels for the whole of Lake Erie. That TAC is then broken down further into the number that is allowed in each of the areas that are under the jurisdiction of the States of Ohio, Michigan, Pa, New York and the Providence of Ontario. It is based upon the scientific approach to determining the total population of the desired species of fish(Perch and Walleyes).

The ODNR has to wait until the TAC figures are released before they can set the daily creel limits for the upcoming season. That is why they usually wait until the calendar has ran out on the 4 fish limit during the spawn before releasing the current years daily limits. It gives the Lake Erie committee the needed time to set the TAC for the coming year, then after those numbers are released the ODNR can either leave the limit the same or reduce the limit if the Ohio Quota falls under a certain level. In reality the ODNRs hands are tied and they must follow the law as written, they do not have any options on this subject it has already been predetermined.

The daily bag limit for walleyes is set in stone and is law as it was passed by the state legislature. It is determine by the amount of the TAC that is allotted to Ohio by the GLFC(Great Lakes Fish Commission). As written the maximum number of Walleyes allowed in Ohio cannot exceed 6 per day during the regular season and 4 per day during the spawn. The daily limit can and will be reduced in direct relation to the TAC(Quota) allotted to Ohio. Those numbers have been predetermined and if the numbers fall into any of the lower brackets the limits will be reduced accordingly. Here is a copy of the chart that was released when the law as it is today was written. It was originally a proposal and it was adopted into the law by the state Legislature.

walleye and perch limits 2017 increase!-proposedbaglimit_zpsc8c556cb-jpg

I can never remember when Ohio has reached their TAC quota allotment on Walleyes. Ontario on the other hand almost always reach their quotas of the TAC for both species simply because their side is geared more to the Commercial Fishing industry for both perch and walleyes. Ohio allows the use of trap nets for the commercial harvest of Perch but walleyes are totally off limits to the commercial fishing industry in the Ohio waters of lake Erie.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-26-2017 at 10:48 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip