Trolling tactics Trolling tactics Trolling tactics Trolling tactics
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see the depths in the precision trolling app are based on 10# mono. How does that compare to 30# braid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I see the depths in the precision trolling app are based on 10# mono. How does that compare to 30# braid

30lb Power Pro is advertised at 0.011" thickness. Berkley Trilene Big Game 10lb mono is advertsed at 0.012in., but 30lb Berkley fireline has an advertised Diameter of 0.015in.
    I will probably get beat up for this next statement but here goes. On the Western Basin the deepest adverage depth is about 30 ft. Taking that depth into consideration the fish that you will be targeting will be some where between the bottom and the surface, with targeting the fish with the bait between 1 to 5 ft above the fish I don't think line diameter makes a whole lot of difference. So if using 30lb braid you may be a couple of inches deeper than the dive chart for Mono and a couple of inches higher with the Fireline and that would be at the maximum depth listed on the chart. But does that really make that much difference. The point is if you target the fish as they should be and have your baits above them within that target zone of 1 to 5 feet then you should be ok. I always opt for a the middle depth and try to get about 3ft above the fish. I am saying you would be safe to use the dive chart provided so long as you maintain the speed that it was calculated at. There are 2 things that you must remember and that is (1.) Don't over think the line diameter thing. Speed will have more to do with depth error than line diameter (2.) Don't give walleyes to much credit for being smart, they are only capable of following their basic instincts.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip