After numerous aborted attempts (due to weather on available days off) to make it to Lake Erie toward the end of the summer, I finally got in a trip to Catawba SP yesterday. I didn't get the numbers I hoped for, but I did pick up my biggest walleye ever. It was 29 inches and weighed in at 10.1 pounds. Caught him trolling a Reef Runner 800 Lemonade 65 feet back in 23 feet of water. Had a hit on a Husky Jerk Clown 100 feet back, but lost him.

The big fella was the only fish I boated, but what a way to shut down my season. I launched out of Catawba, headed straight west then trolled NE. I wanted to go out near the islands, but the chop started getting a little heavier than I felt comfortable tackling for my first trip in my Lund 1775. So, I played it safe, which likely resulted in my limited catch. I did mark several fish in close, but couldn't get much action. The water was dingy, so maybe that played a part. I've fished with friends on their boats and on charters, but I'm fairly new to chasing walleye on my own. I've got learnin' to do. I did marked several balls of what I'm guessing we're perch in around 15 FOW. I guess I should've brought some minnows along.

So, while I only caught one fish, to me, it was worth the 2.5-hour (one way) drive. Thanks to everyone who reports on this forum. It's been a great help to me as I try to narrow down places and learn how to fish this lake. I cannot wait for early Spring.

Chad