Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

All of the above is great for getting the gear, but the suggestion about going on a charter that trolls will help make you productive.

Purchasing the book: Precision Trolling (The Trolling Bible) will increase the slope of your experience curve in getting your baits to the depth where the fish are (or just above them). I see there is an app out now and you can buy only the sections you want like Reef Runners, DHJ's. You will need charts for 2 oz inline weights as well.

As for rod holders, I have a fixed triple rod holder that slides into the gunnel rod holder. Works great for three rods on each side and is much less expensive than the adjustable big john type. I run the last rod out of the next gunnel rod holder behind it.

I run big boards, and three on each side is plenty. 4 puts them pretty close together and causes tangles especially with inexperienced crews. I am now running the 4th rod off a dipsy which gets it down quicker and out of the way of the other three. This took an adjustable big john rod holder mounted on a gunnel rod adapter.

You can't mix big cranks and tru-trips (TT's) on the same side due to the different dive characteristics. Tangles or CF's will keep you away from the fish. All cranks on one side and all TT's on the other.

I do not have auto pilot (AP). I would love to have it but raises the price of the fish per lb. considerable :0). Fishing with 2 people is doable. Three is better without AP. Unfortunately I fish by mylself a lot also which leaves you drifting and relying on the wind.

Spool half the reel with mono and the last half with braided. Getting rid of the line stretch between you and the fish will help in many ways.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Drifter; 09-01-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trolling Advice

Good afternoon,

I would like to thank all who contributed to this conversation, the information provided is priceless. I could not have gained the knowledge I’ve gained from this forum by sitting in any four year institution. In the past two weeks I’ve been thinking, researching and laying out my seven month plan, I’ve even made a few definite decisions, which I could not have done on my own. This is a GREAT community, again thanks for all of the help & information.

Post Thanks / Like

All great advice here...I'd suggest jumping in with someone for the day. 4 to 5 hours of trolling can be so beneficial to learning different trolling situations. Hit me up sometime. I'd be glad to take ya out if I am around and have an open seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eriegardless View Post
    All great advice here...I'd suggest jumping in with someone for the day. 4 to 5 hours of trolling can be so beneficial to learning different trolling situations. Hit me up sometime. I'd be glad to take ya out if I am around and have an open seat.
    In addition to the kind offer made by Eriegardless, you are very welcome to join us on Morning Mist, out of Vermilion, as long as you understand we are going Fishing rather than Catching .... [catching has been real hard for last couple of months]
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9