Hey West,

I like your idea about checking ice and open water.

Haven't you ever been on shore and wanted to cast out to where the boats are? With the new "bobber" fish finders, the drone could drop the fish finder over an area and check it out. Have you ever seen how they kite fish for sailfish/marlin/tuna? The drones could replace the kites; holding the bait away from the boat or shore, and right at the surface waiting for the bite. Have you ever wanted to fish a pond for that lunker bass, but couldn't cast over the cattails? As I mentioned, a drone could see schools of fish, or bait fish in clear water without running your boat several miles. When fishing saltwater we are always watching for birds. Now we could follow the birds with the drone.

There is no longer a limit to the size and capabilities of this technology. I haven't read any regulations beyond registering your drone. But all the regulations will apply whether you're fishing, hunting, or peering over your neighbor's fence. This will lead to an interesting and ongoing conversation. WE haven't even had a discussion of property rights. What are you going to do when you're in a tournament, and a drone is hovering just above your head?

We are already witnessed the Canadian drones watching for charters fishing over the border. You better have proper documentation not only for the crew, but for the boat.

At what point will a submersible "drone" be available for your research? The technology already exists. Should that be regulated? I hope not, but someone will say there "outa be a law", and then here we go....