It is a month early for perch to be found in numbers that translate into limit catches of nice fish, especially in the traditional ares they are normally found, B-Can, C-Can, D-Can, G-Can, H-Can, Niagara Reef area and the War Buoy just to name a few of several. If this continues into August then you may be on to something. Perch fishing should just continue to get better and better as the season progresses.

The wife and I caught 21 perch at B-Can on this past Saturday and they were all packed full of mayflies when I cleaned them. Marks were better than fair on the sounder and I think the reason they were not biting was due to the mayflies. We only caught 1 sheephead and no white perch or Bass. The mayflies were hatching during the day as we were fishing but not in the numbers that you would see for the night hatches. What is needed is a good old fashioned Thunder Storm during the dark hours as that always seems to produce a massive hatch of mayflies this time of year, and that will shorten the time they affect the fishing.