????? ????? ????? ?????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walleyefever12# View Post
    I talked to a co at the Maumee river. They even checked my truck coming out of the parks. I emailed the DNR that question when he emails me back I will post his answer. There is nothing on their web page about this like their is on the Michigans DNR. I was told if you are camping you can eat your limit of walleye at the camp but you better not have on you more then 2 limits. That was what i was told by the CO. Just use your head and find a CO when you get their and ask him because he will probley be the one checking you when you get back.
    I think that is correct. If an officer wanted to be a prick, I think he could site a person for consumption fish, even if it is cooked. I have heard it both ways. Processed (cooked) fish does/doesn't count against you. I have been checked at a camp for all fish, freezer, cooler, boat and the cooked fish in the kitchen. Fortunately we only had some cooked and a couple in the fridge to cook later. The camp beside us wasn't so fortunate. They had licenses taken and fish taken and were cited.

jax7725 Guest

That leaves me to believe it's all about interpretation. Everyone has their opinion on limits and possession limits, etc, etc. I personally believe it should be designated specifically to each lake. And all species of fish for that matter. However, that would be a lot to remember for simple folks such as myself. Honestly, I think it should be spelled out a bit better and in black and white. I definitely follow and respect the laws, but when the law is left for debate how is one to know if your following it or not. I'm sure there will be more debate on this topic and maybe a CO from Ohio can weigh in on this as well. I'm driving 15 hours regardless if the possession limit is 4 or 2004. Coming that far I'd like to know what I can expect. I'm not going there to try and take home 28 fish in 7 days, I'm looking to relax, fish, and if I could possibly take home 6-8 fish to share with family, then that's a bonus.

Looking forward to more opinions on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jax7725 View Post
    That leaves me to believe it's all about interpretation. Everyone has their opinion on limits and possession limits, etc, etc. I personally believe it should be designated specifically to each lake. And all species of fish for that matter. However, that would be a lot to remember for simple folks such as myself. Honestly, I think it should be spelled out a bit better and in black and white. I definitely follow and respect the laws, but when the law is left for debate how is one to know if your following it or not. I'm sure there will be more debate on this topic and maybe a CO from Ohio can weigh in on this as well. I'm driving 15 hours regardless if the possession limit is 4 or 2004. Coming that far I'd like to know what I can expect. I'm not going there to try and take home 28 fish in 7 days, I'm looking to relax, fish, and if I could possibly take home 6-8 fish to share with family, then that's a bonus.

Looking forward to more opinions on the topic.

Good for you. Sounds like you have the right mindset to have a great time. I don't think we will ever see a CO weigh in on a public forum. I also think there are by-laws that cover everything you are speaking of. They are just not practical to print as they are lengthy. The way I read the law is 1 day limit at any time. If you transport fish from an area you legally caught the fish, that is the limit that applies. Many Ohio lakes are 10 walleye and Erie is 6 depending on time of year. The limit where you caught the fish is what applies. I would advise you contact the ODNR and ask legal codes etc...........Good luck

Food for thought- The limit of walleye is reduced just before, during and just after the spawn. This is an attempt to keep spawning fish in the lake. If anglers catch and keep multiple day limits or go out multiple times a day and keep multiple limits, this defeats the purpose of reducing bag limits. Another thing to think about. ODNR is now making poachers pay restitution on poached wildlife. If you keep a 34" walleye and are over limit, you could pay thousands in restitution. The court sets the value.

walleyefever12# Guest

It is not the fishermen, it is the power plants that kills millions of walleye a year and they dont do a dam thing about it. Some time read the Maumee tackel web page about it, it will make you sick. You are right. I live in Michigan and our book has possession in it. Your book dont. Ours is 2 limit of possession they dont care how long you have been their so if you have over 2 limits on you in your truck or any where you are going to get a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, spoontang, that you should never take more than you will eat. My family eats a LOT of fish. Mostly crappies from lake in my home town. I freeze fish all the time but always keep an eye on what I have and never let any go to waste. I live 6 hours away from Erie and have only fished it twice. I just want to know rules so I can bring a few home and maybe have a fish dinner while I'm there.

Krayfish Guest

I will take a different approach and really, no intent to cause hard feelings, but here goes. I (and my group) will travel 8+ hours, spend $1,500 on a cabin for a week, launch my boat and pay a marina fee each day, buy all my food, gas, bait and tackle and (can I say beer!?) in Ohio for a week. I will eat at restaurants', buy tackle, etc. there as well. I will be polite and courteous and you will not even know I am there. But, if I am there for 5 days and can take home 20 walleyes to eat for my family- I will do it. I will only keep males and I will only keep my limit, which I will eat the heck out of- but I will do it. If it is too much, reduce the limit, if it is not, then as long as you do not waste it, go for it. No one should be chastised for taking home what is legally theirs if they do not waste it. I guarantee you the businesses in the area love the business and that makes it better for everyone. What drives that fishery is the money coming from people using the fishery. If that money dries up, so do support businesses profits and eventually, so does the fishery. I have seen it in northern Wi, we have our own issues with reduced bag limits for different reasons and it has had a dramatic impact on the related businesses up there- all because it is not worth the effort to drive the distance to catch 3 14" walleyes. So, a little different view and hopefully I did not offend anyone with my input- if so, I apologize.

jax7725 Guest

Well put Krayfish.

I also contacted Ohio DNR and there is no possession limit. Just need to take the time to properly package/label/store each day's catch.

walleyefever12# Guest

Right on Krayfish I am so sick of people saying only keep a limit or 2 and let the rest back. we you are going to be their for a week. They are only saying that so they can leave with their limits everyday. Alot of them live right their and have a chance to go everyday unlike us that have to drive 1 to 3 hrs or more. I always tell them I paid the same amount for my license as you did and have the same rights if you want to let them go thanks but dont push it on me when these things are so great tasting. You are doing nothing wrong by keeping them and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again. I just ended a phone call with the department of fishing (ODNR) 419-625-8062 and spoke with an individual regarding limit. I am going to stand corrected. There is no possession limit. If an individual fishes 10 days, then you may have 10 days limit, but never with you when you are actively fishing. 1 limit per day. I was advised that the ODNR is watching closely for anglers that double dip. Multiple limits/trips per day.

I assure everyone that none of this hurts my feelings or offends me. It is true that the money spent supports the fishery, however, anyone that spends $1500 in Ohio once a year does not equate to the money I am taxed on daily for EVERYTHING in Ohio and that is what drives Ohio wildlife. Ohio tax dollars with license, tackle etc.

If you think you will catch and keep $1500 worth in fish in a week, you might want to rethink your numbers or save some money and buy fish from the market. This arguement comes up every year and people have mixed feelings. I could care less if you come to Ohio and spend your money. Just like the people of Florida could care less that I am traveling there tomorrow to spend alot of money to vacation and fish. The locals are always sensative to outsiders. I could also care less if you keep all of your legal limits. It is your legal right. All I ask is that we/you all are responsible with what we catch and kill. I have known too many people in that past that bag way too much and throw fish out in the spring. That should be a crime.

I commend those who keep just males. That is a conservation effort and acknowledging a need to conserve.

I agree that pollution is a problem as is commercial fishing however we can only control ourselves and what we do and it does make a difference. Let your conscience be your guide.

I used to try to balance $$$$$$$ Fish .......Gas.........Hotel......bait......Lures..... ...Equipment and what I found was that I was no longer recreational fishing. I was commercial fishing on a small scale. It took the fun out of it for me. Now I relax, keep a few fish, and really enjoy myself alot more. It is hard to be let down when my only expectation is to relax and have fun.

I like to fish for fun.
    Last edited by spoontang; 04-02-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Krayfish Guest

Spoontag, I think, no, I know, you missed the point. In any case, have a good and safe trip to Florida.