Quote Originally Posted by furlough View Post
I started making my own harnesses. I have a problem with them getting wound up and knotted. I think I am using size 5 colorado blades. Do you think these blades are too big and causing this problem?
There could be several reasons for the problem that you are having. I need to know if possible how fast you are trolling, Colorados are designed to be trolled at less than 2 mph preferably 1mph to 1.8mph if your speed is in the correct range it is very possible that your clevis is to small and that allows the blade to contact your harness snell between the clevis and the snell line. Take one of your harness and leave it hang straight down then tip the blade straight up watching to see if the blade touches the line. If it touches the line it will do so while spining and start to twist the snell. It probably twists and knots up after fishing with it for little while. If it touches go to the next larger clevis. Also use a high quality ball bearing Swivel or swivel snap on your harness this also helps with line twists.

Check out page 18 of this catalog link. Try to match your blade size to clevis size.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...nguide-web.pdf

I don't think size five blades are the problem. When I use Colorado blades they are almost always size 6 or 7 with the largest folded clevis available. Hope this helps you and also let me know.