Like many of you, during the winter months I spend countless hours preparing for the next years fishing adventures. I wanted to share a recent weekend project where I upgraded my in-line crescent weights! Now for those of you that troll for walleye, there are many different trolling weights out on the market. I went with Crescent style due to the fact I could buy the mold from Do-It molds along with the powder paints fairly cheap. I must admit, seeing I'm on the Canadian side of the boarder, and in Amherstburg, I also make my own Jigs. Yes Jigging in the D!

But lets get back to trolling in the western basin. So I started with pouring the weights. I made 3 different size for the areas I typically fish. 1.5 oz for 15'-25' (Holiday Beach, Lake Erie), 2 oz for 20' - 45' (around Pelee Island, Lake Erie), and 3 oz for 40' - 70' (Wheatley, Lake Erie). I went with glow and standard color patterns for 6 different styles.

Styles are;

Voodoo; (Purple Bottom/Black Top w/Orange Tail) No Glow
Pimp Daddy (Glow Green Bott/Purple Top w/Orange Tail)
Blue Punk (Glow White Bott/Sparkle Blue Back w/Orange Tail)
Fire Tiger (Glow Yellow Bott/Glow Green Top w/Orange Tail) or Grass Hopper (Glow Yellow Bott/Brown Glitter Top w/Orange Tail)
Jerry Springer (Glow Yellow Bott/Orange Top w Green Glitter Stripes)
Pink Lady (Pink Bott/ Brown Glitter w/Orange Tail)

I dress them out with a 7mm split ring and Stainless Ball Bearing Swivel.

Winter tackle upgrade - Arts and Crafts style!-3-oz-bott-jpg
Winter tackle upgrade - Arts and Crafts style!-3-oz-jpg
Winter tackle upgrade - Arts and Crafts style!-3-oz-top-jpg

They Glow like this, please note, this was "charged" with a cheap Harbor Freight free LED flash light.

Winter tackle upgrade - Arts and Crafts style!-glow-light-jpg
Winter tackle upgrade - Arts and Crafts style!-glow-dark-jpg

Let me know what you think. I made three sets, one for a buddy, one for actual in-line usage, and one set for Snap Weight application.

I'll be posting what upgrade I made to the fish style downrigger weights next....