I'm looking to make my first ice trip to Erie March 12th. I realize there is a ton of ice there right now and you can go all over the place. I looked at the extended forecast out to March 7th and it looks like it should still be fairly cold, but possible rain a couple days next week. How fast does Erie shed the ice typically during the winters like we've been having? I would be making a 7 hr trip from Wisconsin and would hate to get there and not be able to get out or make it over a crack. I realize it's a big body of water and just wondering what you guys that are hitting it regularly think?? You guys think the ice will be iffy by March 12th??

I did make a trip out with Sea Breeze Charters last summer. The guys I went with have used them in the past with good success and this was my first time. Unfortunately the eyes were not biting, but they did put us on some incredible perch fishing. They are going out with them again in April to try some walleye jigging. I won't be making it with them this time around, but would really like to get some ice fishing in, if there's still ice March 12th!!

Thanks for any info, hopefully I'll be making out there!!!