recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default plenty of wind

Drifting and Casting like the old days. Guys from as far as Oklahoma came to fish for walleye for the first time. 2 days of fun and great weather. July is a great month drifting and feel the chomp. The fish where mostly lying very low with bellies on or near the mud. Got a few up higher but long cast and keep it tight as it comes around the drift (swing) as the rig nears the bottom they hit it or if you drag bottom, just reel a few fast cranks to pull off the mud and wham or they follow it for 10-15 seconds some of them. Several hit short 2 or 3 times till they took the hook. Many popped off the hook in the net. Great Corporate trip for these guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images recent walleye action-downsized_0712131527-jpg recent walleye action-downsized_0713131530-jpg 
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default hot action

More great July fishing. Drifting was good , trolling was good. Limits and very near limits in the heat , but the wind helped keep the bite going. The weekends coolers all nice fish 15.5 to 24 inches in the west end and big boxes of fish for our Geneva trips. Fish holding near bottom most of the weekend in 27-31 foot. Mike on Reel Sport was near me most of the weekend. Some of the best drift fishing of the year is in July. Saturday was great fishing after the storm went thru as we waited a couple hours for a safe sky after all the lightning. They like the windy early mornings to feed. Drifters and trollers catch rate about even. Boat #3 took a limit Saturday with 5 guys from Indiana that never fished before. They casted for about 20 eyes, then finished with 36 after trolling for a few hours. Boat #2 took Geneva limit Sunday in 6-8ft swells way offshore, just rode the waves home. Back at it this weekend Friday thru Tuesday for my yearly July walleye fest in Ohio and Canada waters. Water is warming up and the weather has not affected the bite much. This bite should continue like last summer. Lots of small minnows out there, huge schools everywhere I looked. Even friday as we pulled in walleye after walleye, the minnows on top of the water where jumping out of the water all around the fish being reeled in. Like little flying fish. Picked up several nice yellow perch Sunday also while taking walleye while drifting. DNR boats on the water checking and counting fish while on the lake. A buddy got checked and they counted his cooler just as he was headed in, 14 miles offshore.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geneva Ohio trolling trip

Geneva a couple days ago on boat #2. Enough said.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default July is fintastic

This late July fishing is just plain wild. Walleye are commiting suicide almost. Trolled crankbaits Friday in the shallow waters of the west end. Dipseys at 50ft on a #3 and 35-40ft on a #1 settings. Crankbaits are doing well and some guys are pulling jets with J7's. Color didnt matter on the stickbaits but the spoons behind dipseys where copper. Took 42 walleye Friday then the wind blew Saturday so we drifted for 30 in the high winds rain, took a wave over the side, ya thats alittle rough. Sunday was just too much for going to Canada to fish the rocks so I got a day of rest. Monday was another great day for crankbaits and dipseys, same area, about same setup and took another 30 for a family crew. Fishing is good by drifting or trolling right now. Canada fishing Tuesday was great with all big fish casting the deep water. Caught 30 walleye and a few perch. Average size walleye range up north was 22 to 27 inch with some guys getting a couple 30's. More walleye this week, hope to be in the same area in the west with the same setup. Get out their while the they are biting before it starts cooling off. I didnt pull jets this weekend but 40 TT at 40-45 and regular jets would be about 50-60. All these depths depend on your line on your reels.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default more fintastic

Great weekend again. Same results as last week. Same place same lures, same depth, same quality of fish. 2.2 knots or about 2.6 to 2.8 mph. Difference between Garmin set of knts and Lowrance on mph. Algea starting over the last week also. A couple mayflies seen over the weekend. The small minnows are everywhere and everywhere. Lots of white perch are hungry and only hooked a few sheephead of the weekend and a few handfuls of white bass. All walleye and some reports of some big ones holding in the deeper waters of the west end taken over the last couple days and they where caught suspended in the water column. That means up and feeding. Most walleye taken lately are the good eating size.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default open dates

I will share a few open days for perch fishing. Labor Day weekend is now open. Bass trip cancelled for that weekend so its all open. Saturday and Sunday trips for the fall only. August 17,18,31. The first weekend of Sept and a couple Sundays in Sept. October weekends are open. This is the only time I will post this. All gear, bait, ice is provided on every trip. Most trips will be out of Fenwick Marina. The later it gets in the season, I will have to run the trips from West Harbor area to fish the areas I have fished for over 35 yr. Call soon to get your best date. Call my cell# 419-890-2555
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 08-11-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday action

Boat 3 had 180 yellow perch today out in the west end north of the reefs. Boat #2 had 42 walleye off Geneva, huge cooler of walleye. Outstanding !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]