recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Last weekend

Plenty of air moving last weekend but we still pulled our share from the lake. Sunday was called short but still got half a limit. Friday Saturday Monday and Tuesday was great fishing from 8 to 20 ft. Didnt seem to matter where we went. The afternoon over the weekend was best but early morning weekdays was fast action. Now the wind is blowing and all that may change things some by time we can get back out again. Saturday is sort of up in the air for wind. Lot of nice males already starting to milk. All ours came on jigs with best colors being dk green, purple and chartruse and a big shiner. Overall great weekend for these guys from Illinois. Already booked for 2014.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default cold day of action

Cold, freezing rain, no wind then to a building strong east wind on Sunday. My drift lines kept changing, hands going numb. Catch a couple walleye, reset your drift, chatch one then the wind shifts again. Finnally after lunch time the wind desides to stay east. We just kept at it till 3:30 and it just quit for us. Got them half of their limit after all that. The color didnt seem to matter to us. Green,purple, green with chartruse, black n purple and all chartruse. The large minnows triggered the bite for sure. This cold water they need the minnow on the jig. I talked to several guys that didnt have live shiners and didnt have much in the coolers. Fish ae on the bottom and suspended half way down but the trollers had similar luck as the drifters. Hey, thats fishin. Both boats had about equal coolers with different methods but the same results. No secrets just out among the few hundred boats out front all doing the same thing. Water temp was 43 yesterday with mixed areas of clean and stained water. The Maumee is pumping alot of stained water into the lake after the hard rains and more to come this week. Back at it again this coming weekend.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wed. n Thurs.

I fished Wednesday eve and Thursday morning. Very windy Wednesday evening with some stained water on the reefs of course. Did the best right in the shallow part of the reef the last 2 hours of light. Jig n minnow. Thursday I awoke to a very cold morning with south winds. Ice on the boat. I thought as we headed out, they are going to bite good today. Started 11-13 ft and got 1 there, 3 more drifts there and nothing. Went to Locust with nothing on top the reef and then the deeper water was cleaner. Started to get a few in the deeper water, then the wind upped 2 notches. 2 bags out, 1 oz jigs and cant hardly feel bottom. Went to the beach off Crane, clean water, hooked a really big fish and it spit the jig. Then the wind howled 40-50 for alittle bit, we called it a day about 12:30. Just not the spring days any of us had been hoping for. Thats fishing and thats Mother Nature. Water in the harbor dropped probably a foot in 6 hours. This weekend should be good. Purples and Greens for jig colors.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default slowly better

The bottom bouncer bite is going good. Fish are up off the bottom a few cranks. Colors are same as jig time colors. The casting bite is improving more and should be good this weekend and from now thru all summer if we have lite moderate winds. The fish are stacked all over and it seems that when they bite, they bite all over the lake. Last Saturday was true of this as the morning was slow then about noon is on and fairly fast. The spot I fished Thurs and Fri morning was banging and nets were flying. Probably start there Friday. I will probably be trolling Fri and Sunday, but will cast Saturday. Boat 2 had a cancellation for this weekend so if you have a group that wants to troll, visit the website and call Jeff or myself. The only other date I have open for myself in Sunday June 2nd. Call me for that one for a drift trip. Drifting should rule the game right now if you have a good crew. Late May and early June is always great drift fishing time. Looking at 10 mph wind all weekend from the easterly direction. Slight chance of rain with this also and warmer air than we have had.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great weekend

Classic walleye fishing this week. Friday alittle lumpy, 3 to 6ft waves, holy moly. Long ride out, all big fish friday with a first big head for one guy, a 29 inch on a crawler 3 cranks up. Friday was a 2oz bouncer bonzi. but took walleye on 3oz and 4 oz bouncers all a few cranks up once the weight held bottom, give it 3 to 4 winds and set in in rod holder. They didnt hammer it, just held it then the wave set the hook. Saturday just as good for a family of cousins that just wanted to get out for a few hours for some fresh walleye to fry up that afternoon. All a nice grade of fish. Sunday was a real hammer day , trolled 27 ft of water on the outside of the reefs. Marked fish from top to bottom. Just get it down there and wam. 40 jets 25-60 depending on the line. I took them from 35-55 on jets and 35-46 on #1 dipsey. Color didnt matter. Stayed out of the crowd alittle bit and did what I wanted to do instead of getting boards tied up. It happened to a couple guys. Great crew didnt need much coaching on trolling and got a nice box of fish. Another 29.5 inch today and 2 near 27-28 inch. Fish taken in several places today for the guys I talked to. Nice weekend !
    Attached Images Attached Images recent walleye action-downsized_0519131140-jpg 
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default wind

Get your bottom bouncers out guys, 2s, 3s and 4 oz. Going to be blowy this weekend. 12 to 20 steady SSW with gusts 20-30 all 3 days. Drifting this week of course. Spinner bite is good as the water has warmed to above 65 and staying there. Was 66 last week. Good trolling last weekend as the calm winds slowed the cast bite so you have to speed it up. 2.0-2.2 last week with spoons 35-70 on the 40s. Dipseys with a crankbait ruled saturday from 35-42 ft on #1 and 50 on a 3. Ready for a drifting weekend, so get the worms on the hook.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good weekend

Friday took a limit by 11:30, Saturday was a request for drift only with moderate results and Sunday was a request for drifting with good results. Slow drift Saturday but it held the reef location and slowly work the spot at about a hour per short drift. Friday was all Copper but Saturday and Sunday was Firetiger and Chartruse patterns with 1/2 to 3/4 oz. Some of the guys didnt feel the bite till I changed the blade and went from 3/4 oz down to 5/8 and wham, first cast.
    Attached Images Attached Images recent walleye action-downsized_0607131204a-jpg 
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]