Can anyone recommend what size of Beefy Bag would work well for me? Last season I tried to use a bulk tote seed bag that was 42"x42" square. It did slow me down to 1.8mph but that was with only 1 engine running but being square in shape, made it unstabe. With the chop, wind, and current it made my job of steering the boat almost impossible. I have came to the conclusion that adding a kicker would be the ticket, but it is not in the budget this year, so bags will have to do.
I want to run both engines to keep propwash over both rudders so my steering remains effective and hopefully not overwork the autopilot I added. I plan on running the bags off the bow cleats port and starboard.
My current setup of twin 7.4L mercs, 2.5:1 Hurth 630a transmissions, and 22x25 4 blade props give me an idle speed of 4.4mph at low idle. I am trying to choose between 2 60" bags or 2 48" bags. Am I correct in thinking if the 2 60" bags slow me down to much, a bit of throttle would be good for more propwash over the rudders? Any advice here greatly appreciated!