Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers Multiple dipsy divers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple dipsy divers

Anyone run 2 - 3 dipsys off the same side of the boat, if so whats the secret to stopping the tangles of the lines ?? thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default dipseys

Yes, its been done. Adjust the counter weight settings. Say your closest to port side would be a 0 setting, next rod can be a 1.5 setting, then your outside will run at the 3 setting. Port is Left on dipsey, then Right is Starboard side. In past I also used a shorter rod for the 0 or 1 setting, then a longer rod for the outside. And your leads will all be different at 0-1-2-3 settings. There is a chart on back of most new dipsey packages- fish on hope this helps- ron
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

Post Thanks / Like

i,ll give you an idea. but i use lite bite slide divers so the no# are alittle different but the basics are the same. here is how i fished my divers on erie last week. the fish were down 50 ft and i wanted to fish above them.

my front outside rod is a 9' rod the diver set on 4.5 out 150 ft my middle rod an 8' rod diver set on 3 out 120 ft my inside back rod 7' set on 1.5 out 90 ft this keeps the lures close to the same depth but keeps your lines apart.

then if you need to let your outside rod out you go to the other side of the back of the boat and start letting it out. you use the reel clicker to slow it down so it dont tangle. when you get out 15 ft past your middle rod you take your rod up and over the other 2. and put it in the rod holder. it should be about out where you want it. then just kick the reel in gear and check to make sure its where you want it. like say my middle reel was out 120 so when i got to 135 with my outside rod i would take it up and over and put it in the holder. at that point it would be real close to 150.

same thing on the middle rod. my back rod was out 90 so when i got to 105 i would take it up and over the back rod and put it in the holder. it would be close to 120.

i hope i have helped you and didnt just confuse you. the very best way to learn this is go out with someone elce or take a charter out one time. its really worth the money.
    sherman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. ,suonds good !

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 dipseys

I always run 2 dipsey on each side. If you are running jet divers with short leads you need to think about the high possibility of the jets running into the dipseys. In that case you should set them at 0 and 1.5. Mine are normally at 1 and 3 and never tangle. Never let them out fast and use the clicker. Some guys run the #1 at the rear of the boat and the #3 just forward of that in the rod holders. I can run my #1 towards the front and #3 at the rear but the rod holders are 8 ft apart. Take some more time on how you set the rods. A good lesson on my boat would probably be worth the time. When I run my #1 dipsey way forward, when a fish hits it, the guys reels it up right along side the boat. The # 3 rod at the rear corner , fish on , then would come right up the rear of the boat. When using very long lines on dipsy, like 100-180ft, is somewhat different way so that the diver has time to go over the over line.
    Salmon fishing, some guys run 3 or 4 on each side. They go out to where you tell them and dont vere far from that. Its hard to tangle these if you get a pattern.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

lineman i was out last week what a nightmare i run my d.r. on the port side at the rear and i run a dispy on the starboard near the rear and once off the bow - i spent most of my time tangled i can,t seem to keep the boat straight w/o my line crossing i troll at 1.5 using my big motor 115 w/a drift sox - it was the worst day ever trolling for hours only to realize that you were tangled the whole time - i can't seem to stay stright!!