We have been fishing Lake Erie from my Brother-in-Law's boat, mainly for Walleye, using Downriggers & Planer Boards. We run a couple of Fish-Finders, so we know they are running heavy near the bottom, at about 65 feet. Trouble is that we are not sure we are getting down to the right depth.

We generally run at 2.0 MPH, but one day I wasn't along I heard they were hitting hard at 2.5 MPH? Maybe the lure worked better at that speed? Brother-in-Law said that when they turned the boat they stated hitting on the outside lines, so they just increased their speed and did O.K. that day. That success could not be repeated.

We are running out 90 feet of cable on the Downriggers, figuring a 45 degree angle while running at 2.0 MPH, but we don't have a clue if we are right!

We have been running 120 feet of line out from the Planer Board line using Dispsy's (at 2.0 MPH), but we talked with one guy who said "Nah, you gotta' run 180 feet of line." We might try a sinkers instead of the Dipsy's next time. He has one 3 oz. sinker that runs a wire up from the eyelette in front then back ending with a swivel, but can't find that one like that anywhere.

I think you have the picture that we are not certain what is happening under the surface, and would sure appreciate any suggestions here. Beyond that does anyone know of a web-site or printed material that explains these things?