Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re-powering question in Western New York

Hey gang,

This past season my 1992 150 HP Force OB etched a cylinder and I had to make decision whether to rebuild or re-power. Without too much thought I chose to re-power. After researching my options going forward and getting opinions from this site, I think I have settled on looking for a mid-1990's Johnson/Evinrude, carbuerated, 135-150 hp OB. I chose this partly because my budget, total, will fall somewhere $2,500-$3,000, and a few guys here said I should be able to find what I am looking for in that price range.

I called a recommended dry-dock/dealer today and told him to keep his eyes out over the next few months for me. He thought that what I expected to pay for such an engine (I told him $2,00-$2,500 plus install) was low. He said to call back in a few weeks and he would tell me what he found and give me an idea of prices.

Now, I know how negotiations work, trust me. So him telling me I needed to spend more didn't shock me, but I figured I would check with the knowledgeable individuals here to see what the prevailing opinion was. Basically I want to know if my expectations are unrealistic (total price (install included) @ $3,000 minus whatever they would give me for my trade in that could be parted out)

Let me know what you think, and if I am not thinking of anything I should.

Also, any idea where I can go to find used outboards near the Buffalo, NY area? I tink I might be best served buying from a dealer since buying on ebay or craiglsit seems risky for me-especially since I am not super mechanically inclined.

Thanks,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

If you go with an evinrude it has a different bolt pattern than force on your transom. also it will cost on average $500 for new controls/guages You can't use your old stuff as it won't match. I spent $5800 total to replace an 150 evinrude with a used 150 yamaha a few years ago. worked out great for me. I know a good dealer in the Detroit area if you want to come this far that deals strickly in evinrudes. But I think you'd be better off with a used Merc as the swap will be easier. I doubt your trade in is worth anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about the transom issue. How big of a deal is it if the bolt holes don't match up? Does that mean a whole new transom? If so---how much does that run. Any other Western New Yorkers have any advice out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Pyson - sorry I can't help you out. If it was me I would just go to several trusted dealers and see what they have to offer. Remember you probably will need their assistance from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyson View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about the transom issue. How big of a deal is it if the bolt holes don't match up? Does that mean a whole new transom? If so---how much does that run.
    There's a couple different ways to plug the holes, but I'd still suggest sticking to Merc as depending on what one/yr you get your guages and controls might work. Most dealers should be able to tell if yours will work if they are selling and doing the set-up for you.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine has a Sylvan 20' open bow with a cracked engine block. He doesn't know if he should junk it, peice it out,or sell it as is for a fair price. any ideas ?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the power plant i would think he should be able to put a used one in pretty easily. What year is the boat and what shape is it in. Those would be deciding factors to me.