Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest rebuilding. There is a guy around buffalo that deals with force and has a ton of stuff. My buddy has a force and gets his parts from him. Your force is new enough that it's a merc force not a Chrysler. I'll ask my friend about the force guy. I'll try n get you a phone number.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend didn't have the number offhand but the place is called Lang's Outboards in tonawanda. He deals pretty much exclusively in force. I'm willing to bet he has a rebuilt powerhead ready to bolt on.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think the motor is an '89...not sure if that makes a difference. I have been leaning toward re-powering rather than a rebuild on this particular engine. I called a couple of local marinas and they said I would be looking at closer to $5,000 if they found a motor (mid 1990's carbed, etc). I have been pricing on Ebay and have found 1990's 150 hp's anywhere from $2,000-4,000. I have been leaning toward buying one from a reputable dealer online that sells alot of engines and has outstanding feedback and feedback from hundreds of former customers. I will link a couple engines I am considering....give me some feedback if you like!

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...o-reduced.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Clean-1...ht_1562wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evin...ht_2164wt_1163

http://www.smalloutboards.com/j15097.htm

Lemme know what you guys think on these.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

The only item that I would like to mention and bring up is that if you buy on line and have problems who do you talk to then? My my experience if you choose a local dealer, one with close proximity to you, you'll be better off in the long run. Yes, you'll get better pricing on line but you won't get the support down the road
    . Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

Choosing someone local would be my preference by far as well. The only problem is I called a couple marinas and dry docks to give them an idea of what I was looking for and the all told me I was looking at a minimum of $5,000 for what I want. Now I know to a certain degree that you get what you pay for, no doubt, but I have been on numerous forums and searched around on the internet and for what I am looking for (mid 1990's 150 hp, carbed outboard) most people in the know said I should be able to find something in the $2,000-$3,000 range that would be an upgrade from what I had. I know that new controls, shipping and install would be somewhere between $700-$1,000 additional, but that would still put the total cost somewhere between $3,000-$4,000 which is still $1,000 LESS than what these local places quoted.

The other thing is wherever I called all they had were much newer engines in stock that were priced $8,000-$12,000 range. If I could find someplace local that had a good assortment of used outboards I would definitely be interested--but I can't seem to find any!

Trust me the thought of spending thousands via the internet is scary, but I don't have an extra $1,000 just laying around. To dispel my fears I have a few reputable shops that refurbish and resell used engines in large numbers that have many references. I don't plan on just buying a motor from some guy on Ebay that has it sitting in his backyard.

Any further thoughts?

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default decision

Gentlemen,

I had a coupe IM responses, and I have decided to buy from a local shop. I just couldn't stomach spending 2-3 grand via the internet. I currently have two shops looking for me. Getting something I want at the price I'd like may take a little while (check previous posts if you wanna see what i want and for how much--I have tried to be realistic!....lol)

I have a guy in Barker and Colden looking for me. If any of you have other guys that you think might be good for such a task please let me know. Having more eyes out there looking for what I need may hopefully get me hooked up and back on the water faster!

Thanks,
    '
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

There are a bunch of outboards on Craigslist for sale. Have you looked there yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Just to give my experience, I ended up buying a used kicker from Brobeil Marine on Niagara street and had a really nice experience. They also had a bunch of other used outboards there for sale. It took longer than I would have liked, but everything seemed up front and very honest. In fact my project took longer and was a PIA for them but they still didn't charge me extra, even though I expected them to, we never had a hard quote signed or anything just a ballpark figure. I did tip them cash under the table though. I dealt with Fran Brobeil, and would go back in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

So far I have called the shop in Colden that was recommended and Brobeil. I also called a shop in Barker, that the guy from Colden recommended. Of course, none of those shops have anything in the 120-150 hp range from the mid 90's that I am looking for, but each took my name and number and are supposedly on the lookout for me.

I only hope that I will find something soon, before the entire season slips away with me not being able to get back on the water.

Thanks and if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to comment.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I still think the easiest would be to put a new powerhead on. Call langs in tonawanda. He's a force dealer. You'll be back on the water in no time