So I've fished lake erie a number of years for perch, and have pretty much decided to hunt walleyes now for the challenge. I think I have a handle on lures, lines, speed, depth etc, basically the answer is going to be "it depends" and "keep switching until something works". Does that seem fair?

My question is this. What I have learned perch fishing erie is that you must find the fish first, if you expect to catch enough for a meal. So if I'm out there, and not marking many fish, I will keep looking for a school to anchor over, or in an area where the schools are roaming, even if it cuts into valuable fishing time. it's a huge lake with a lot of empty space, you just have to find them.

Is it the same with walleyes? Do you drive around with your boat fairly fast, running your sonar on 83 khz until you see schools suspended? What speed does your boat handle seeing walleye at? One of my first things to try is find a school, and then drive over it at various speeds to determine what my setup works like. Obviously help from friends saying where the fish were yesterday I'm guessing is a big help, but not a guarantee. I have filled up a cooler with 12 inch perch one saturday, gone back the very next saturday and see nothing but a barren bottom on the sonar.

I could see finding schools working ok for mid level fish, but the bottom dwellers might not be so easy to find, I'm guessing you find schools of baitfish first.

I know I could join the flotilla of trollers and combat fish, but I really, really, hate that. What is supposed to be a relaxing time on the water turns into a stressful situation. Even perch fishing I try and stay away from the crowd if possible, although once you start catching them the crowd comes to you.