How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ?????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool How much time do we have ?????

How much time do we have till the walleye head west

Post Thanks / Like

I was told by my buddy that runs a charter outta Ashtabula that some fish r already heading back west. I normally fish in western basin unless I'm with him . You should have awhile yet though for most

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butcherman View Post
    How much time do we have till the walleye head west
    Good question.
    I had to close up shop early last year due to 1st year with new boat. Needed to build storage

With inboard motors I assume needing winterized before freezing temps arrive, what is the average end date? My guess is mid November???
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught walleye out of Ashtabula and Conneaut into the middle of November some years. If you can believe the Farmers Almanac, winter is coming early and often this year and that is another vote for the outboard motor. Love my 150 E-tec. As long as there is a perch pack in Conneaut there will be walleye around them. I always check before switching to steelhead by the breakwall, the inner harbor and the channel. Only a frozen ramp will keep me from fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news this is my first year with my own boat , yea I'm a rookie but been doing pretty decent. I always fish RR will they keep hitting those through the end of September, that when my other passion comes in.

Post Thanks / Like

My experience in the fall is worm harnesses and spoons get the fish. On some days small cranks like the Yozuri minnow off the downrigger will get some eyes but meat works the best off dipseys.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dr. Ed looks like I might have to invest in some dipsey's

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DR. Ed was wondering if I can use the rods I have for running dipsy's, they are cabellas troll master with dm30a line counter reels. And what dipsey would u recommend getting. Thx for any help

Post Thanks / Like

For years I only ran "0" Dipseys with and without the O ring. Lately I have been mixing the "0" and the "1" with and without the O ring. I tell people to use which ever presentation will get the lure or bait to the suspended fish. With the big fish these days you need medium-heavy rods with 20# mono or braided line. You'll be glad you have heavy tackle when a 12 lb steelhead hits. Early on I lost plenty of tackle and dipseys to steelhead by using 17 lb line and thinking it was strong enough. We all use trial and error every day to find what the fish want for breakfast. Good luck out there. I'll be on Ch. 68 the next three days. I'll be listening.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    With the big fish these days you need medium-heavy rods with 20# mono or braided line. ...
    Yes, thanks you very much Doc, we haven't lost fish since making the change a few weeks ago.

BTW - How many Dipsey's do you run (or can be run) per side? Our setup is 1 downrigger and 2 Dispey's per side. I would like to get a couple more lines in the water but we have the occasional tangle which holds us back. Crew and I just not ready yet. That being said we really don't have a standard fish landing practice either. Guy on the pole backs up alittle and the net man will land either from the back or the side. Depending on the fishes reaction.
    20' Sea Ray