Hey gang,

This past season my 1992 150 HP Force OB etched a cylinder and I had to make decision whether to rebuild or re-power. Without too much thought I chose to re-power. After researching my options going forward and getting opinions from this site, I think I have settled on looking for a mid-1990's Johnson/Evinrude, carbuerated, 135-150 hp OB. I chose this partly because my budget, total, will fall somewhere $2,500-$3,000, and a few guys here said I should be able to find what I am looking for in that price range.

I called a recommended dry-dock/dealer today and told him to keep his eyes out over the next few months for me. He thought that what I expected to pay for such an engine (I told him $2,00-$2,500 plus install) was low. He said to call back in a few weeks and he would tell me what he found and give me an idea of prices.

Now, I know how negotiations work, trust me. So him telling me I needed to spend more didn't shock me, but I figured I would check with the knowledgeable individuals here to see what the prevailing opinion was. Basically I want to know if my expectations are unrealistic (total price (install included) @ $3,000 minus whatever they would give me for my trade in that could be parted out)

Let me know what you think, and if I am not thinking of anything I should.

Also, any idea where I can go to find used outboards near the Buffalo, NY area? I tink I might be best served buying from a dealer since buying on ebay or craiglsit seems risky for me-especially since I am not super mechanically inclined.

Thanks,

Matt