Maumee Bay Report Maumee Bay Report Maumee Bay Report Maumee Bay Report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    walleyewacker Guest

Default rscotfish

Fishing from boat at RR. Just keep trying the openings until you find the one that the fish are moving through. Try using a single hook with enough wieght to keep it down rigged with a slip bobber so the large shiner is just off of the bottom. No secrets here. That is not a "red mud vain" you see in a large fish. There is no such thing as a "mud vain" in a fish. So what if there is a little waste keeping a big fish. There is still a lot more meat in a big one than a small one. How many of the small ones do ypou need to get the same amount of meat out of big ones? About 4 to 1. If I am going to fill my freezer with say 100 pounds of fillets, I will have to keep a lot more smaller ones. Not good for the population. Think about it. The state will never lower the limit to 2 fish. What are you talking about. There are as many fish today as there ever was. Get good info before you post, no sense in starting rumors that are unfounded and just ignorant.

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleyewacker

i was not trying to piss you off. keep all the fish you want sounds like every things legal so keep catching. i got my information from the westernbasinsportfishingassociation web site and read 2009 fishing reports they get there info from the odnr and (lake erie committee"s walleye task group) they suggest that the walleye population will be approaching crisis mode in 2010. the tac is going down every year.just type wbsa.com. i still got fish from last year in my freezer i give a lot away to my friends that do not have a boats or cant fish. have not caught a walleye from the lake this year but hopefully i will wack some walleye myself very soon going in next week but we mostly catch jacks with very few females on the reefs and near shore from maumee bay to davis bessie keep the water high and the gas prices down and the fish biting and the lake around 2 ft. the big eyes ive caught and cleaned do have a dark piece of meat going down the middle of the filet that makes the fish taste fishy if you keep it zip it by making a small cut at each end of it and pull it will come right out and the fiash will taste better try it. i release most of them but keep a few then try to get rid of all the dark meat i prefer the 1-4 pounders they taste better in my opinion
    Last edited by rscotfish; 04-12-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

Post Recent Studies

Binational Panel Recommends Lake Erie Yellow Perch and Walleye Catch Limits for 2009

YPSILANTI, MI – The binational Lake Erie Committee, comprising fishery managers from Michigan, New York, Ohio, Ontario and Pennsylvania, today recommended a 2009 total allowable catch (TAC) of 12.012 million pounds of yellow perch and 2.45 million walleye[1]. The yellow perch TAC represents an increase from last year while the walleye TAC represents a decrease. The committee based this recommendation on the current strength of yellow perch stocks in Lake Erie and on the fact that walleye recruitment has been poor or moderate during the previ ous several years, with the exception of 2003.

YELLOW PERCH

Stock assessment of yellow perch showed increases in abundance in all areas of Lake Erie relative to 2008. Therefore, the committee recommended an increase in allocation of yellow perch to 12.012 million pounds in 2009 from 10.160 million pounds in 2008. An area-based sharing formula determines the allocation of these fish among the five jurisdictions on the lake. For 2009, Ontario’s allocation is 5.714 million pounds, Ohio’s allocation is 5.277 million pounds, and Michigan’s allocation is 0.186 million pounds. New York and Pennsylvania will receive 0.142 million pounds and 0.693 million pounds respectively. In 2008, actual yellow perch harvest was 8.33 million pounds or 82% of the TAC. A yellow perch management plan is under development and should be completed during 2009.&n bsp; The plan is designed to establish guidelines for yellow perch fishery management in Lake Erie.

WALLEYE

The Lake Erie Committee recommended a binational TAC for walleye in 2009 of 2.45 million fish, compared to the TAC of 3.594 million fish in 2008. Actual walleye harvest in 2008 was 2.917 million fish, or 77% of the TAC. The Committee’s Walleye Task Group—comprising scientists and field biologists—reported that walleye hatches had been weak in 2002, 2004, and 2006; below average in 2005 and 2008; and moderate in 2007. The last above-average walleye year class in Lake Erie was the colossal hatch of 2003. The Lake Erie Committee noted that the walleye fishery continues to be reliant on that ever-diminishing 2003 year class. The number of walleye in Lake Erie is expected to decline from 18.4 million fish in 2 009 to 15.7 million fish in 2010. Because these abundance levels represent a fishery in “rehabilitation” status, the committee believes the reduced TAC is reflective of the current and projected state of the resource.

Lake Erie agencies together monitor the status of walleye spawning and recommend walleye TACs to ensure the future of the fishery. Based on the data collected and interpreted together by the Canadian and U.S. jurisdictions on Lake Erie, the reduced 2009 TAC will allow the agencies to adhere to their objectives of allowing harvest while protecting future spawning and substantially manage the resources.

Under a 2009 TAC of 2.45 million fish, Ohio will be entitled to 1.252 million fish, Ontario 1.055 millio n fish, and Michigan 0.143 million fish. The TAC is recommended by the Lake Erie Committee and is allocated to Ohio, Michigan and Ontario by an area-based sharing formula of walleye habitat within each jurisdiction in the western and central basins of the lake. The walleye fisheries of eastern Lake Erie remain outside the allowable catch management area.

BASIS FOR TAC DECISIONS

“The walleye and yellow perch fisheries of Lake Erie naturally fluctuate from year to year based on the success of annual spawning and survival,” said Lake Erie Committee chair Mike Morencie of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. “To manage around these fluctuations, the Lake Erie Committee needs to continually monitor the state of the fishery, consider the probable future state, and recommend annual harvest allo cations. The committee bases its decisions on a consensus understanding of the science that all jurisdictions collect and evaluate together. All jurisdictions—Canadian and American—are motivated by a desire to allow sport and commercial harvest balanced by a need to take the steps required to ensure future harvest.”

“All Lake Erie Committee members remain committed to building and maintaining a close, working relationship with those who depend on the walleye and yellow perch fisheries for food, income, and recreation,” Morencie continued. “Moreover, the members work hard to advise stakeholders about long-term trends in the Lake Erie fishery and how those trends might affect future allocations. For example, the committee is deeply concerned about the frequency of weak walleye year classes during the past decade. The 2003 year class remains the only strong year class present in the fishery. As time goes on without adequate recruitment, future harvest levels will decline. As the committee did last year, we advise constituents that the outlook for higher walleye catch limits is unlikely for the foreseeable future. Although the outlook for the20yellow perch fishery is solid for 2009, the committee is cautious about the future strength of that fishery.”

Committee vice-chair Bill Culligan of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation added: “The Lake Erie Committee understands how its recommendations relate to the needs and benefits of Lake Erie stakeholders. The committee has placed much emphasis on incorporating the human needs into the decision-making process and will work continually to improve this commitment, through the establishment of a human dimensions task group.”

LAKE ERIE COMMITTEE

The Lake Erie Committee comprises fishery managers from Michigan, New York, Ohio, Ontario and Pennsylvania. The committee’s work is facilitated by the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, a Canadian and U.S. agency on the Great Lakes. Each year the committee recommends a total allowable catch for walleye and yellow perch. Total allowable catch represents the number of fish that can be caught by sport and commercial fishers without putting the stocks at risk. The individual agencies implement the recommended total allowable catch. For more information, visit the Lake Erie Committee online at www.glfc.org/lec.

http://www.glfc.org/pressrel/pr090324.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Oh My?

I never thought that a simple post would create so much tension. My concern as in all years are these east winds and how much silt will settle on the beds. As we know the silt will not allow oxygen to the eggs and they sufficate. As far as Walleyewhacker. Whack away. I've been fishing Erie (from a boat) for 22 years (same boat) during March/Early April and I can count the number of females I landed on one hand. They were all foul hooked too. Great fight, but ------! Keep em if you wish, but I want to know what I did wrong when someone overs me a 20"+ filet. YUK!

Thanks for recognizing an honest post boys. The whacker is our new 500lb. Gorilla

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Possesion Limit

WalleyeWacker,

"There are no "possesion limit" on fish." ?????!!!!!

THERE SURE AS _ELL IS, my fishy sounding fellow fisherman. You better read your regs, and quickly. The 'ole ODW officers love to get wind of freezers full of walleye or other "game" fish. Not sure what the possession limit is now (I'm ashamed to say I haven't bought my license yet and haven't read the regs), but I think it was 2 times the daily limit? Help me out here, posters.

West Basin

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleyewacker or whatever you call yourself!!

You dont sound like a true sportsman to me but more like a greedy fishmongering poacher!!!

just my opinion !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forum troll

Wacker is nothing but a forum troll. Likes to hear himself talk. In the pre-internet days when I was an outdoor writer, I had a Wacker-esque clown who would call me all the time to brag of his exploits. I never gave him any print because I had him pegged pretty early on. I hit my limit of him, so to speak, when he contacted me on Opening Day of Deer season to inform me he had shot a big buck, caught a limit of steelhead and a limit of perch, all before noon. Much like Wacker, never was able to provide me with any pictures. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Default back to fishin Maumeebay

Lets get back to fishing reports on the Bay!! Has anyone fished the bay since Sunday(EASTER)?? Plan on fishing around the Sonar bouy on Thurdsay!!!

walleyewacker Guest

Default West Basis and everyone else

There is no possession limit on fish for the last time!!!!!! Yes, a daily limit, but no possiession limit. You can fish everyday keep your fish in a freezer and at the end of the year have a large fish fry. If anyone is reading the "regs' differently, you have low reading comprehesion, which means understanding for some of my fellow fisherman. Yes, there is a possession limit on ducks, geese, rabbits, grouse, ect., but not on fish. Please get your facts straight, as you said you haven"t bought a license yet this year, yet you are explaining the regs. You must be hardcore. You people sound just plain dumb. Get your facts straight. Do not be jealous of me because i outfish all of you.