I'm sorry to throw this question in the forum but I know there is a lot of knowledge here. I know most of you run larger boats but any information is helpful. Thanks.

BACKGROUND INFO

I have a 18.5' Stratos 386XF fwith a bunk trailer. When the back end of the boat is loaded correctly and centered I only have about 1/2 inch clearance between the boat and the wheel wells. I constantly have to fight the back end wanting to drift from one side to the other while loading the boat. My first thought is that I have the trailer to far in the water and that allows the back end to float. To compensate for that I've tried leaving more of the bunks out of the water. the boat doesn't drift but it is incredibly hard to get the boat all the way up to the roller as most of the weight of the boat has to be winched up. it seems as though there is this exact "sweet spot" that I have to have the trailer but not all launches are at the same angle of course.

I'm wondering if trailer guide ons installed at the rear of trailer would help. my concern is that I need the guide ons to hold the back of the boat centered but the beam of the boat is wider than the stearn. I assume that the guides will flex allowing room for the beam as it loads. I'm reaching out because there is a lot of experience on this message board. Is there anything I should know regarding this? I'm tired of keeping my fingers crossed hoping that when we pull the trailer out of the water that the boat doesn't drift off to one side. Guide-ons seem like the solution.

QUESTIONS:
1. do they work for this situation?
2. will they damage/mark up the white fiberglass?
3. If they do work What type of guide-ons would you recommend?

thanks for the help folks.

Bryce