Looking for some input/advice from those of you with trolling experience. I just purchased a new boat (used, but new to me) last November. Other than the sea trials, I haven't even had a chance to get it out yet. The boat is a 28' Aquasport walkaround with twin Mercury 200 EFI. These are the 2 stroke fuel injected Merc's not the opti's. I like to troll the western basin like most of you with cranks in the spring and fall, and spoons during the summer. I am interested in your opinions on trolling with larger 2 stroke outboard motors. I have researched the internet pretty extensively and it seems like opinions are all over the place. Some say they do it all the time without any trouble, others say it carbs up the motors and causes trouble. I'm looking for actual experiences on this topic.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to run two trolling bags off each side to allow for a higher rpm or spend the money for a kicker and additional rigging. I'm not too concerned about running up the hours on the main engines. They are very low for their age, and I would alternate engines to keep hours equal. I also plan on using the Mercury Quickleen fuel additive to help with carb buildup.

Do you think I will be ok trolling with the big motors, or should I plan to invest in a kicker setup?

Thanks in advance,

Matt