engine repair costs engine repair costs engine repair costs engine repair costs
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    The vast majority of marine engines are based on either Ford or GM long block engines, the same blocks found in automotive applications. The Volvo, OMC(and their replacements), and Mercrusiers are mostly Gm Based engines. They are typically just a regular automotive block that has been what most identify as marinized. The main difference is the use of brass in the water jackets in areas such as soft plugs and a high efficiency oil pump. The upper engine is where there are major changes made to make the engines suitable for marine use. Heads(sometimes), camshafts, intake manifolds and fuel delivery systems are the main areas that are changed to produce the the needed HP and Torque for the marine engine and the electrical systems, mainly the starters and alternators as they have to be USCG approve for spark containment. Here is a site that I have used for three different engine replacements both new and re-manufactured, I have never had a problem with any of the engines that I have purchased there. Sometimes it is easier and more cost effective to replace than to repair.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/

On Edit: I have seen engines go on as little as 200hrs and as much as 6000+hrs. As an owner you can only do so much to prolong the life of your boats engine! Following the recommended maintenance schedules and allowing for extra time to get to where you are going does wonders in the longevity of your engine, so many people run their boats a WOT, change oil and filters on an irregular basis and then wonder why they have engine problems after a few hundred hours of use.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-05-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip