I looked over the posts and went to Net Craft and picked up a package of 50 Mustad, 3777-#28 (Br) hooks for under $5.00! That tip came from Capt. Patterson. I've made 2 vertical rigs and I'll see how they do. I snelled a few to try on spreaders also.
Mr. Wakina, my next venture will be your recommendation below, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
I use an Aberdeen style hook in thin wire either a #4 or #6 Tru-Turn in red color or a #4 or #6 Eagle Claw Aberdeen crappie hook in red color depending on the minnow size. I will even use a Tru-Turn or Eagle Claw thin wire aberdeen number 8 hook in red if all I can get is pin head sized shiners. Bear Paw also makes a good hook for perch fishing.
The bait holder hooks are stronger but they do not penetrate as well as the thin wire Aberdeen hooks do as the wire is to heavy. The aberdeen hooks will save alot of empty hooks from bait stealers. I change hooks as frequently as needed and don't let that bother me as it is part of the perch fishing game. I use one of those red hook disgorger's that have a ball on each end both small and large available at most bait stores and at WalMart. I also use a modified crappie rig with about 8 inch wire arms, and a minimum 3/4 oz wt and most often a 1oz wt.