Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10 Casting Report - 7/11/10
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard guys mention the swing. Can someone explain that please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wheezer View Post
    I've heard guys mention the swing. Can someone explain that please?
    Example would be if your boat is drifting sideways. You would cast your lure out the Stern/bow and count it down to the depth that you want, then begin your retrieve so the lure will come back to the boat in a semi circle sort of way(the swing). Your boats drifting action in one direction will be away from the original line to the lure created by casting out the stern or bow and the retrieving of the lure would produce the swing effect as the boat drifts away from that original line. This can be done to the same effect off of the sides of the boat also. Just cast at a right angle from your drift line.

So no matter how your boat drifts (many do not drift sideways) you can adjust your casting angle to accomplish the same affect that was described above.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-15-2015 at 09:40 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to hear more fisherman chime in on the longer cast being a good thing when working the swing. I am a long caster, but have seen and had success shortening the cast as the sweep of the swing is magnified with a shorter / medium swing.

Anyone else have an opinion or want to share experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wakina about the drag and reel retrieve. Have been using it for years and it does put fish in the boat.
    Heading out tomorrow for the first trip since June.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    I would like to hear more fisherman chime in on the longer cast being a good thing when working the swing. I am a long caster, but have seen and had success shortening the cast as the sweep of the swing is magnified with a shorter / medium swing.

When I take my wife casting when we are not trolling, she is lucky if she can cast the harness out the back of the boat 30 feet. She counts to 8 and reels very slowly even stopping at times. Funny thing is that she almost always catches the most walleye every time we cast. I tell her she is just lucky. Hope she doesn't read this. She may be on to something. I cast as far as I can on the swing and catch my share of fish but she just always out fishes us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post

I've found when jig fishing (also doing best on the swing) a short to medium cast works better for me. When the fish seem to be biting right in the swing, I don't waste time time before or after it. I cast so the bait gets to the bottom at about 90 degrees or a little before compared to the drift and reel in right after the bait starts dragging almost behind the drift. Shorter casts take less time getting to the sweet spot and reeling in for another. Also can keep in better contact with the bait, especially in the wind.