I know what the answer is probably going to be, but I'll ask anyway. I'm sure many others on this forum would also like to know.

All you members with a lot of experience ice fishing Lake Erie and who know the ice well. The Lake weather forecast for Saturday night March 21 through Tuesday March 24 is for well below normal temperatures and calm NW / N winds (as of Saturday morning March 21). Daytime highs in the low to mid 30s and night lows down around 26 / 24. Maybe the surface 4-6 inches or so firms up enough to make some ice more stable, enough to walk out a ways and ice fish? This assuming the ice stays together today (Saturday) after today's higher SW winds. Has there ever been a year when at the end of the ice fishing season after the ice began to melt and the fishing stopped, cold weather returned for a few days and hardened the ice enough to allow for a few more days of at least semi-safe ice fishing?

I realize the ice melts from both above and below. I don't know if 8-10 hours (overnight) of 26 degree surface temps for a few days is enough to chill the entire ice column down to the water below. The below melting probably won't stop. Maybe slow down? Will three nights of 27-24 degree surface temps and daytime temps in the low 30s (with some sunshine) be enough to make the ice significantly solider (is that a word?)?

West