Trolling question Trolling question Trolling question Trolling question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few reasons for not using the large engine, idle is the worst condition for a 4 stroke engine as it is the lowest oil pressure and typically causes premature cam wear and crank bearing wear. Like mentioned, you will pay for a kicker in the fuel you save, and any extra maintenance you would have to do the large engine. The kicker can always get you back to port ( been there done that) so safety is good. A kicker will allow you to troll at what ever speed you want, with bags, you will only be able to get down to 1.4 mph on average if there is any wind. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but typically you spent less than 1 hour running the big engine to/from fishing spots/day. Trolling is usually 4 to 6 hours/day. That is a lot of hours to not have on your big engine season after season. You should be able to find a 2 stroke used kicker for well under $1000. A used 4 stroke kicker $1500 to $2500 if you don't want to go new. A lot of folks don't like the smell of the 2 stroke fumes, the 4 stroke you just don't notice them, but the carbon monoxide is still there, you just don't notice it. Just things to think about.
    Last edited by ebijack; 01-13-2015 at 05:29 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my 9.9hp high thrust 4 stroke Suzuki with powertilt for $2700.00 and some change delivered to my yard in the original factory packaging. It is a sweet running motor and will push my 23ft pro line about 6.5 mph, or troll at less than 1 mph if need be if not windy. I had a used 9.8hp 2 stroke Nissan that I had bought used and it did well but not as strong and much more smelly. I can troll for 6 to 8 hours on less than 2 gallons of regular gas. And it has more hours on it than the new 5.7l that was new at the same time, that is a plus as it saves fuel and hours on the main motor. Burning in a whole days trolling what I would normally burn every hour using the main 5.7l to troll with . I did put a remote steering and throttle control on it and plumbed it into the main fuel tank to eliminate the remote 3 gallon tank.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip