Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyebob View Post
Looking to buy a new fish finder/ chart plotter combo unit. Which one will give me the biggest bang for my buck???
What are wanting to do with it? Do you want to network it through the nmea2000 networking circuitry? If you do then in the Lowrance line you will be limited to the HDS units, if not then you can use the HDI units. You would also need the networking capability to run most of the better Autopilots on the market today. Remember if you are not going to network you will be spending money for features you will not use if you buy the HDS line of chartplotter/sonar combos. I use a stand alone HDS 5X sonar and a stand alone HDS 5M chartplotter. I also have the Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+ Platinum Plus for Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine. Do I like them? Yes and no!

For my style of fishing and for what I use my sonar for, I would not buy another HDS unit, same applies for the GPS/chartplotter. I would go with something of lesser complicity and put the savings into a larger screen and or, more, even better fishing equipment. Here is why! An Airmar B21 will set you back an additional $100.00 and the ever popular B60 will set you back an additional $200.00+. Then the cost of the networking circuitry and connecting cables to make the whole thing work as intended is not cheap either. These are all things that you have to consider when you lay down your money for the different units. Not trying to discourage you from buying a HDS unit but trying to inform you of the added cost in trying to make it all work as intended. Also if you do not fish or boat enough to become totally familiar with the operation of the unit(s), the pages buttons and the different programs, you then have to become a Philadelphia lawyer in order to remember how to use all of those features when you need them without having the manual handy. If you fish every day and use the different functions every day, or at least often enough to be able to become familiar with them then they are worth what you have spent on them if they actually really help.

The statement that the factory supplied transducer for the HDS Units are not very good is actually an understatement. It is my opinion that they are just slightly better than no transducer at all.

It would be nice to be able to link your GPS to your VHF radio in case of emergencies! But on the other hand there are only 3 things that would keep me from doing the same thing manually. First if I could not talk, second & third if either my GPS or VHF is not functioning.

At this time I am in the market for a stand alone unit that offers both a chartplotter/sonar and is basically a turn it on and go fishing unit without all of the bells and whistles, bells and whistles that I will never ring or use anyhow. If the unit shows me where I am at and what is underneath me then that is all that I need to know, it is all that I need!