Wanted to Reply since I have lived here all my life and spent much time in the outdoors and UP,Love the UP,I would skip the east side of michigan and go right to the UP ,Skip St marie area and Go north to lake and West,Lake Superior shoreline is Gorgeous ,Might go to Munising area,Cliffs there ,Dog Patch a good place to eat there.Bar Restaurant combo been there forever.You could go on to copper harbor or cut back south to lake michigan go back across the bridge and concetrate on the west side of the state all the way down all of the cities along there are interesting,petosky ,Charlevoix,Traverse Bay area,all the way down ,stay along the lake-scenic route,also Sleeping Bear Dunes a good idea.Lots of Islands also where you can take car out if you had time.If you do go to the east side dont cut over off the hyway untill you are far north ,there is some great fishing on out east side like lake st clair and saginaw bay but very populated and not the scenic,Saginaw bay is much like erie as far as Walleye.
Hope all goes well
Tom