Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

of the 4 okuma coldwaters I purchased one of them after 6 months the reel would not go into free spool, I took it back to fin feather and fur and they gave me a new one without a hassel and a spool of mono free to replace the line, I sure hope they hold up. Are there any American made line counter reels or they all made in china.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Okuma convector

Yea, I guess that's what I was trying to say about my Convectors, they do not go into free spool even if I back the drag completely off. It's a pain when you are trying to set the clicker to go off when you have a pull back and you can't just back the drag off. The spool stays locked up tight until you crank the handle to get it to release. All 6 of mine have been that way since day 1, that's why I figured it was a design flaw. Anyway, I guess I'm beating a dead horse.

Good luck with your new reels!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    of the 4 okuma coldwaters I purchased one of them after 6 months the reel would not go into free spool, I took it back to fin feather and fur and they gave me a new one without a hassel and a spool of mono free to replace the line, I sure hope they hold up. Are there any American made line counter reels or they all made in china.
    Good question!

I dug out the boxes that my reels came in but could not find the boxes for the Daiwa Sealines. This is what I found on the boxes as to where they were manufactured.

Okuma Cold Water model #CW-153D Made in China!

Daiwa AccudepthPlus model #17LC Made in Korea distributed by Daiwa Seiko, Inc.

Shimano Tekota model #TEK-300LC Made in Malaysia

It is my understanding that the only Penn Reels made in the Philadelphia facility in the USA are the non line counter International series, with all of the rest made outside the USA. Like I stated in a prior post most if not all of the line counters available in the US market are made in foreign countries. The fact remains that almost all reels of any manufacturer and for any type fishing are made outside the USA. I believe that the Ardent line of reels is one of the few(2 or 3) that are still made in the USA and that no line counter reels are made here at all.

The AccudepthPlus models that I own will not always go into free spool after disengaging the lever without manually reversing the spool with your thumb or fingers, that will allow the free spool to then operate as intended. That is the same problem with the Magda Pro reels that I have kept for emergency use, and why I originally bought the 2 models of Daiwa Reels to replace them.

The 2 Daiwa Sealine Reels are also the size 17 reels and they will not engage the spool when the lever is in the locked position. I only have one of the Sealines left as I return the other one a few days after purchasing it at BPS in Rossford, Ohio.

I never complain much about the Daiwa Reels simply because I would not engage them for warranty work on a brand new reel. I accept that responsibility for not seeking warranty work so do not very often say anything about their product. I instead simply moved on to a different manufacturer. I cannot justify ranting about them without knowing how their customer service would have dealt with the problem.

The reason I did not seek warranty work is the fact that the reel that originally broke was on the boat for the first time and on its first fish and I had plunked down my cash for something that was supposed to be one of the best reels for the money to go fishing and not to set around waiting for it to be sent back for repair. Even a short weeks wait for its return would be 6 days 7 hours and 59 minutes to long with the short fishing season here on Lake Erie.

Obviously they make a quality product with all the good reviews that are put forth on this site and others. I am one of those guys who seems to always get that one cherry pit that finds its way into one piece of pie out of several pies. If there is one available I find it.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip