Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus Okuma Magda Pro or Daiwa AccudepthPlus
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Long term you will better off without the magda "pro". Call Okuma they will tell you that your magda "pro" is actually an entry line reel. When i found this out i decided to NEVER buy another okuma product. They also claim to be "proud makers of fine quality epuipment" The company is chinese owned and makes their equipment in China and then sells for it twice it's value. The magda pro has the same raw materials and ocnstruciton as the shakespeare tidewater for half the price. Also Okuma just sold all of the problem matic magda pro d reels to 2nd line vendors who sell rthem for cheap online. Of course if oyu bought the DX you paid alot more and got the same chinese crap

Post Thanks / Like

So Offshore,

What would you buy if getting 6 or 8 new combos?

Post Thanks / Like

Dpends on your budget....

The best (or one of the best) is shimano Tekota's comes w/ a hefty price tag. But worth it when it comes to quality.

Diawa accu depth is a great middle of the road reel. An affordable price and most bang for your buck.

Okuma Convector is good bang for the buck but not as durable as the equally priced diawa's. convector has drag issues and some clutch issues.

On the rods you cannot go wrong w/ the new ugly stik GX2. it has a great soft easy to read tip. Strong backbone. very versatile. Will work w/ boards or dipsys. A very durable rod overall. The regular (old) uglystik1100's are good but are longer available unless bought used or at closeout etc.

personally I prefer the 2 piece for easy storage. i have 12 rods and swap out reels w/ mono for boards or braid for dipsy's

Post Thanks / Like

On the Buc-Eye we have 16 Diawa AccuDepth reels. They seem to be a decent all around reel but we only have 2 seasons on them without a single issue to date.

On the La-Cory II we have 6 Okuma magda pro’s and one convector, and one Diawa SG17. This season, Two of the magda pro’s, the convector and the Diawa SG17 all had drag/clutch issues with another magda pro having issues with the line counter. Larry over at Hi-Way bait and tackle fixed them up for me with little issue. That being said, these reels have 6+ years on them.

After using all these different reels, my own opinion is if you can swing it, the Diawa AccuDepth is a pretty nice reel for the cash.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just from my experience, but I have 4 years on my Magda 20's... some pro's and some not. Well over 100 trips and 1000's of fish. They sit in the rocket launchers all summer long, April to November... rain, storms, heat, even snow. I have had a couple counters get sticky which was easy to fix, but other than that no real issues. Personally I believe they are a bargain for paying less than 35 dollars. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just giving my personal experience with Okuma.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    So Offshore,

What would you buy if getting 6 or 8 new combos?
    if I were getting new rigs right now I would get the accudepth plus adp17lcb reels. I have the older accudepth plus adp17lc reels and the sealine sg17lca reels and have used them both for many yrs and have had no problems with either. as for rods I would go to fishusa.com and buy the daiwa wilderness trolling rods for 15.95 each. I just bought 2 of those rods and they are a good glass rod which is all you need for trolling.

the okuma magda pros are really you get what you pay for. I personally think they are junk. but if its all you can afford then they are better than nothing. the okuma convector is a much better reel. I have some of the convectors now but I use my daiwa reels.