For years I have used 5 gallon buckets tied on each side of my boat trailing just ahead of the netting area. I drill four 1/2 inch holes equal distance apart just below the top rim of each bucket, run a 30 inch length of 3/8 inch nylon rope through each hole and tie the end of each inside the bucket with a simple knot to stop it from pulling threw. I then tie the loose ends together in a single knot. Next I drill four 2 inch holes in the bottom of the bucket, wire an empty but sealed 20 oz Gatorade bottle to the middle of the outside of the bucket to act as a float and a 6 oz duck decoy weight on the inside opposite the plastic bottle to prevent any rotation. Finally I tie a 6 foot lead rope to the knotted rim ropes and the other end forward off a guard rail. When I'm ready to troll, we just throw one of those buckets off each side of my 20 foot Proline WA and with my 150 Evinrude Etec idled back, GPS speed is 1.2-1.4 mph. I've used the Happy Troller trolling plate in the past but this drag method is so much easier and it only cost me pocket change.