any perch? any perch? any perch? any perch?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: any perch?

Post Thanks / Like

Ken most people swear by the emeralds, but i had fat heads on sun and did ok with them. I think it matters more with the rigs or spreaders that we use. sometimes no bling, and red or dark colored hooks work better when the fish are finicky, other days it doesn't matter what we use we are going to catch them. I'm going out thursdayto the same area and will report back then. Colchester bite should be turning on for perch here shortly. tight lines people

Post Thanks / Like

You still catch fish with fat heads but I think its a slower bite than with emeralds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trollingfool View Post
    Been gone for 2 weeks and spent 2 days in Ludington with Myron gilbert who is a good captain and put us on some big king salmon! 2 days caught 18 salmon 3 over 25 lbs the rest over 15. Now back on erie looking for perch, anyone catching any near the turn around buoy? thanks for any info

Nat
    Myron is also one of the best ice fisherman in North American. He and Joe have won the NAIFC more than once.

Post Thanks / Like

They shut down over here too. Saturday I had 6 clients on board and we took a full 7 person limit of 350 fish in 3hrs, Sunday was a different story. A full 6 hr 6 person charter for 200 and I had shiners

BD
    Last edited by Big Dave Long Point On; 08-14-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea Myron is the king! never a bad day when I have fished with Myron, good guy too used to live next door to him in Brooklyn. Going to try for perch tomorrow in the am will report back. I am going to be conducting experiments with ALL KINDS OF DIFFERENT RIGS, SPREADERS, COLORS, BLING, NO BLING ETC

Post Thanks / Like

Fished NE of intake again tonight. kept 29 with 3 people fishing 3.5 hours. A lot of junk fish. Perch were smaller on average than Saturday. Moved 3 times without much luck. Fished liked smalled shinners vs half of larger shinner.

Post Thanks / Like

I experimented today for perch, went to same area by the intake 1.5 hours 2 perch nothing I used seemed to matter. I think the algae in the area is hampering that bite. I moved a total of four times. I ended up near the red and white Buoy in the shipping channel (everyone seems to call it something different) tried perch rigs with blades did ok, tried spreaders they weren't really interested, tried a variation of what skipper nine rigs that I tied. tried one that was with 6lb test, caught fish but got tangled way too much would probably be better for ice fishing, tried 12lb test that caught fish but still too light I think, used 17lb line and man that was the ticket 3/4 oz weight on the bottom worked the best the 5/8 for some reason didn't work as well as the heavier weight. full size emeralds caught the bigger fish half minnows caught the most, doubles and triples!!! we were in 28 feet of water. The hooks that worked best were red and bronze, gold and dark did ok but not as well as the previous 2. Having said all of this when we finished our experiment we caught our 2 man ticket in an hour and a half with lots of throwbacks which is always good. All in all it was a great day again!!!!!!!!