Quote Originally Posted by trollingfool View Post
Thanks for the info but I have the map of lake erie that I bought from the bait shop and have never been able to locate those cans you guys are talking about! Where are they located at?
Here is a map of the Camp Perry Firing Range which would or should be on the map you have purchased from a bait store! Starting at the upper left side of the lightly shaded area you will find A-Can (Y "A") now moving left to right you can follow the can line across to C-Can. Follow the angling can line down to the lower right corner of the map you will come across Niagara Reef which is a large green navigational bell buoy marking the reef, then you will find D-Can (Y "D") continue to follow the line to the bottom of the lightly shaded area and F-Can will be on the lower right corner, follow the line to the next buoy which is G-Can (Y "G"). The area around Y "G" is a popular Walleye and Perch fishing spot. As you can see the lettered Cans follow around the Firing range in alphabetical order and are designated as Y Letter "A", "B", "C" etc. until it terminates at Y "L" just below Y "A" the starting point.

http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc.../range_map.jpg

Here is another map that would have the G-Can that Redeyedrooster is referring to. Follow the firing range cans to Y "C" Can and follow that straight up (North) to the Canadian line, right beside the E in Lake you will find the Border can designated with the letter G (G-Can). As you can see G-Can on the Border would be several miles from any US Port. The can letters and GPS Grid numbers were put on this map by a savvy fisherman and then scanned to produce the map and then posted on this link. It was accurate at the time, no reason to believe it still isn't.

http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc...uoymarkers.jpg

So as you can see, using just the letter designation of a given can for navigational purposes can become very confusing at best. So my point is that only the poster who uses the letter of any certain Can, to pin-point their location while fishing, knows for sure if they are on the firing Range or the US-Canadian Border.

Now by following BLACK PEARL's posts I believe the G-Can he is referring to would be the one on the firing range, but that is only an assumption on my part and I do not know that to be a fact.

Every one of us while posting a location designated by a lettered can have made the mistake of not stating that we were either on the firing range or on the Canadian line. I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery about the cans and their location.