Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help Planning mid August trip with family, would like help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thank you FishHead315!

I was wondering about the wave height also. I have had the boat in 4 footers (total from trough to top) because we got caught in them. Did not like the experience. I feel better in 2ft or less. But there is a big difference from big water rollers and small water waves. Away from shore are the waves more of a rolling action or small and choppy waves? If so, how far out does one need to go to get away from the choppy waves? Just asking.
    I took a look at the other forum and it was informative. I also like the idea of not being a pack fisherman. The best part of being on the water is the solitude, not the battle of the boats. We will keep track of the weather and go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh... another link to OGF from fishhead...

I know a few people that take their 18ft boats out in 4's on a fairly regular basis. BUT these people each have 20+ years of experience on Lake Erie.

Let me make it clear, I would not condone anyone intentionally taking an 18ft boat out in 4ft waves if they are not well experienced on the big lake and feel completely comfortable doing so.

Wave period and steepness make a huge difference in what 4ft waves look and feel like. I was out in 4-6ft'ers in a 18ft fish-n-ski a few years back. We anchored 6 miles out when the storm rolled in. With 150ft of anchor line out, the bow rolled right up and over each wave and smoothly through the troughs. The waves were mostly 5's and 6's, but rollers.

The other problem is that 4ft'ers can easily become 6ft+ in a blink of an eye.

My opinion; ideally you will be looking for (like you said) waves of 2ft or less. If you feel like "pushing it" 1-3ft would be the top mark (and not going very far out). Now keep in mind, a LOT of times I have gone out on a 1-3's forecast and found it to be almost flat out and a few times have found it to be bigger than 1-3's.

With your size of boat and experience level, maybe consider fishing around the islands area. The islands area can offer some great fishing in the summertime if you hook up with the right people. You would then have the safety of the islands for wind/wave blocking if need be or in case of an emergency you can beach onto one. From Kelley's Island it isn't that far to the deeper water where you could potentially find some walleye during the hot months on a calm day.

Be very flexible with your plans. Have a plan of where you want to go out of and out to that day, but be willing to change once you see the lake. Change could be changing where you're going to fish or it could be cancelling the fishing day at the last minute.
    Last edited by B can man; 07-30-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile boat size

to fishhead concerning boat size I started out in lake in 16 ft mirco craft and fish in everything lake has to offer, been on lake
    for over fifty years and been in every thing it has to offer, as of last sat. We had clients that were sick and stop short because
    of a school of fish, but they want to stay out, so we didn't want to go any farther out, as for safety of our crew as anyone that has been on our boat safety is first and have cancel maney trips for that reason, as for knowing the lake I think we have maney more hours than alot of people have. A 17 ft boat is fine
    as long as you take you time and be safe about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I think you have enough years on the lake to offer your opinion. Don't bother explaining your position to anyone who is as rude as f...head315. He sounds like he knows everything........except how to communicate in a friendly manner. Maybe that's how they do it on OGF.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking so then

Just because we do things , we should tell others that its ok ???

I like you grew up on the lake and would have to say , being over 60 I may even have a few years on you there . Back in the day , it was not common to make the long runs that are made today during the summer months . I to have fished Erie in boats as small as 14 feet .

There is a big difference from someone coming from out of the area and the locals . The locals have more experience on Erie and that makes a HUGE difference . I for one take safety very serious . Lake Erie is very unforgiving if you are not use to her and she will bite you . Is Erie fishable in a 17 footer ?? Of course it is on certain days..

As far as opinions we all know the saying !!!

B can man knows OGF
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    B can man knows OGF
    You are correct, I do. But, it is never a good idea to link to a competing website on anyone elses. AND, if you check my profile over there you will see that my activity is very little over there. Why? Because there is a lot of BS over there that I prefer not to deal with.

That said, being a vigilant fisherman means checking all resources. As far as the trust meter with information received; I trust the information that I get here far more than that other site.

I have found ReelTime, WayneJohnson, Skipper9, Black Pearl, Waterdog, Wakina, and many others to be more helpful than others on any other site. These fellas embody the spirit of Lake Erie fishermen from years past.

You seem to know a bit about Erie, just work on your presentation a bit. (Forums are kind of like fishing, presentation can be the key)
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Wayne, I think you have enough years on the lake to offer your opinion. Don't bother explaining your position to anyone who is as rude as f...head315. He sounds like he knows everything........except how to communicate in a friendly manner. Maybe that's how they do it on OGF.

My personal experience is that it would be difficult at best to fish from a boat of 18 ft. in steady 3 foot waves, even rollers would make it difficult to move around in the boat or even stand to fish, check baits, set lines or change positions in the boat.

Safety comes first! So watch the weather reports about predicted storms and what time they are expected to move into the general area of the lake. NOAA is almost useless for this purpose!!!! Late afternoon comes to mind as the time of day they most frequently occur predicted or not. Second always keep an eye on the sky, checking frequently for ominous clouds, by always I mean all day long. It can become extremely calm a few minuets to an hour before a storm hits. Your direction of travel from the launch should also be considered, as most storms come from the west to southwest so heading west in the morning will buy you a little more time to get back to safe harbor if a storm approaches, going east will shorten the time that you have to make safe harbor presuming the storms are coming in from the West or southwest. Keeping the previous statements in mind I understand that you have to go were the fish are so use vigilant observation to determine when to start in if a storm should appear on the horizon! For me that means immediately! In the end it is still your call to make so be careful and have fun!!

I would like to thank the posters who have put their own experience's in the following 2 links from this site into writing and put those experience's out there on this site for those with lesser knowledge to learn from. It says a lot about those posters integrity and honesty.

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=6825

http://community.walleye.com/showthread.php?t=6619

This should serve as a warning to everyone and especially those new to the lake that calm seas can become treacherous seas in the matter of minuets. Take note of the size of the boats that are involved in these situations! How do you think a boat of lesser size or a less experienced crew or both would have come out? Boat size can makeup for some lack of experience in these situations but it is still not pleasant.

Disclaimer!
    If I have offended anyone with my post so be it! I could not recommend to anyone that it would be safe let alone fun in an 18 ft. boat in steady 4 ft. seas. That type of situation would require several years of experience just to navigate safely as there are always those rouge and unpredictable waves in those conditions.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Apology from me only!!

Sorry ILBowhuntr about the extra non informative replies I made in this thread, that is not what this site is about. I hope that you find the one reply I made in post #12 directly to your question useful.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Wow!

I appreciate all of the helpful information from all of you (even fishhead). If you all look, each of you have offered me some good advice. Each of you have varying degrees of experience, but all of it is more than I have on the big lake. What time I have spent on this site I believe ALL of you have done a good job of providing useful info to all of us newbies. I ask all of you to remember that what Wakina said is true. This is a fishing report forum and I for one believe all of you have something to bring to the table. The way I see it is you all are out there wayyyyy more than me or many others, so any info you share is very welcome. Besides, if there was only a few of you posting here, us newbies would be missing out on many other tips on catching fish and those few would also have all of the fisherman following them around everywhere (maybe they do already, don't know). This way, us newbies have various options available to decide on what, when, and where to go each and every day. And believe me, that means a lot!
    Thank you all and please get over the bickering and go fishing. Who knows, it might be that one guy you despise on here that may lead you to your next big bite!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' boat and have gone out as far to the line north of Gull Shoal from Catawba. Yes, I've been caught in a storm and believe me, it's no fun. I do not intentionally go out in waves over 2 ft., and I keep a real close eye on the weather and listen to the marine radio as well. I take off as soon as I see or hear anything indicating rougher water. I wouldn't take children if there's a possibility of bad weather. One other thing that helps is I have a depthfinder with nav chart so I can tell exactly where I am in relation to reefs or shallow water, as well as plotting a direct course back. I found out early a small mistake in direction on a slow boat on the big lake can cost you a lot of extra time to get in off the water, especially in a storm when visibility is not so good and every minute is more waves crashing over the bow.