First - I fish out of the Eastern Basin. Our walleye season does not open until the first Saturday in May. Night fishing seems to be the main and only way to catch walleyes when out season opener occurs. At this time of the year, our lake temps run about 10 to 12 degrees colder than what the Western Basin has.

Have been reading with great interest the fishing reports that are being shared on this site in regards to the jig fishing bite. Have never tried to jig fish during our early season and have decided to commit to trying it.

After reading these forums and watching some of the videos available on You Tube, still have some questons.
* What are the specific techniques being used for this cold water bite. Is it a lift to 12 o'clock or is it a rip from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.
* It seems that for this year purple seems to be the hot color. However, I haven't heard if that's an all purple jig. Would appreciate to hear if that purple is with other color combinations and if so, what works best - purple on the top of the jig or bottom.
* What color for the jig head itself.
* Jig weight to use? As I understand it the Western Basin fishing is occuring in an average depth of 10 feet, yet I have seen some post claim that they are using 5/8 to 1 ounce jigs in that depth of water. To me that seems to be way to heavy for that depth of water. If that is the weight you are using is it employed with some specific technique.

Do appreciate your time and consideration in helping me in my quest to use this technique in my Eastern Basin waters. Go to go - received my bucktail jig mold yesterday and I have to start casting some jigs.