Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie Good ramps for rookie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ramps

I prefer Fenwick which is a nice gradual ramp. My buddy did ding his prop on something last fall using east dock ramp.

Let me know if you need help and if I am at the condo I will meet you at the dock and lend a hand.

lake condo for rent

http://www.vacationrentals411.com/vacation/23785.html

John

Post Thanks / Like

I use Catawba and Mazurik frequently. I'm 23 now. I only started launching and loading maybe 5 years ago. . Before that, my dad did everything, and the only thing I did was hold the boat at the dock while he parked the truck and trailer and came hurrying back.

1. Have a second person with you. Makes it much easier.
    2. Have a bow line and stern line on.
    3. Do a safety check! This includes having the drain plug in. Be ware, often times the Ohio Watercraft Patrol or even the Coast Gaurd will be present at public ramps and ask if you'd like to do a safety check. I suggest you do it, if they have the stickers. That way, if/when you pass inspection you get a sticker on your boat for the year and they will leave you alone the rest of the year.
    4. As a beginner, you want to go on the upwind side of the ramp, so that it'll hold the boat to the dock.
    5. As you or whoever backs it in, have the other person walk alongside with the bowline in hand.
    6. Back up slowly, and as others said, pretty close to the dock.
    7. When the boat looks like its starting to float, firmly press the brakes so that the sudden stop of the truck and trailer is enough that the momentum of the boat slides it right off the trailer. Have the person with the bow line tie the boat up while you go park your rig. It helps if the person who's walking with the boat while you're driving (or vice versa) is good with the boat so that they can move out of the way while you park, so that others can use the ramp.
    8. Hurry back. Pretty obvious but pick up the person who was parking the truck and trailer, without interfering with anyone who's launching or loading.
    9. Go limit out

Oh, and one thing I forgot.. doesn't hurt to start the boat up and make sure its running before you drive away in the truck and trailer. Otherwise you're dead in the water, taking up a ramp space, while the truck and trailer has to come back to load back up.

Loading up
    1. When there is a chance to drop someone off at the dock to grab the trailer, do so.
    2. Back it in, same way, close to the dock. Don't back in too far.
    3. Walk out in the water, or on the trailer, and pull the boat up on the trailer. Winch it to get it the rest of the way. DO NOT power load the boat onto the trailer - pretty sure that they still cover this in the boater's ed course.
    4. Pull out slowly!
    5. Pull the drain plug, secure the boat, and head home!

It isn't rocket science. More than anything, have patience. Patience with other boats who are either less physically able, or just don't have a damn clue what they're doing.

I say not to power load the boat onto the trailer, because at one public access ramp a couple years ago, there must have been a hole at the end of the ramp, and the trailer tires went off the end. It was like being hooked to a wall, the truck and trailer didn't want to come up the ramp. With too much effort, it came unstuck, but not before it slid the axle 6-8" back the boat trailer frame!!!

I drive the truck and trailer, my dad has the boat. I back it in while he walks alongside. I pump the brakes and the boat slides off, and he's in it with it running almost immediately. I park, and he comes and picks me up from the dock and we're off. After 5 years working together to do it, we've got it down and look like pros. The only time I get nervous is when there are lots of people watching me maneuver the trailer, which is silly because I've never had an issue.