I have a 24' sportcraft walkaround and installed a Simrad auto pilot purchased from Happy Days Boating in Port Clinton 4 years ago. It was simple to install by myself since you remove the steering cable from the old manual steer unit, remove the old unit, install the new unit (all the holes lined up), and rethread the steering cable. Biggest problem was lack of space between the steering mount wall and cabin wall and I had to open a hole in the cabin wall to make room for the new unit's mechanism. Hooked a wire to the fuse panel and it was a go. The controls are on a coiled extension wire so I can reach to the back of the boat if needed. I fish a lot by myself or with one other person and netting is no longer a problem nor watching poles for "fish on". In higher winds the unit can't control the boat well when facing a headwind. But other conditions it works well. Noticed no difference between units as far as steering drag when unit is off. It does not shut off automatically if you try to steer when it is on, but this has not been a problem for me.