Made a weapon!!! Made a weapon!!! Made a weapon!!! Made a weapon!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

thanks for the example ebijack, when would you start using weapons like around mid may to early june?

Post Thanks / Like

Well you could start using them now as some guys are taking fish on harnesses around the islands. But yes, mid may on is typical.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an expert, but thought that this might help. Remember that weapons, or mayfly rigs, simulate a mayfly that has hatched on the bottom and is beginning to head to the surface. When making them, think dainty, you are trying to mimic a mayfly fluttering to the surface.

Mayflies usually appear in Mid May. The last couple of years the weather has pushed them back into mid June (at least the peak) if I remember correctly. You will know when they arrive in full blast once you arrive at the Lake.

I hope this helps,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imrsmk View Post
    I'm not an expert, but thought that this might help. Remember that weapons, or mayfly rigs, simulate a mayfly that has hatched on the bottom and is beginning to head to the surface. When making them, think dainty, you are trying to mimic a mayfly fluttering to the surface.

Mayflies usually appear in Mid May. The last couple of years the weather has pushed them back into mid June (at least the peak) if I remember correctly. You will know when they arrive in full blast once you arrive at the Lake.

I hope this helps,

John

Ever since I was a kid just starting out on Lake Erie in 1955 may flies have been called June Bugs along the shores of lake Erie, another common name for them was Canadian Soldiers, they have always started in late May and peaked in mid to late June. If you think they are bad now, in the 50's they used snow plows and end loaders to pile them up and load them on trucks to be hauled away in Port Clinton. With a light Northerly wind the sky would be black with them starting at dusk and on into the night.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default this weeknd

im goin out this weeknd thats why i wanted to know but if jigging isnt producing too much ill probly drag a weapon/ worm harness along the bottem in hopes that a fish will hit it.
    thanks again for all the help guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally weapons

fish 24, I've been using weapons for a few weeks now and doing quite well on bigger fish, most mornings early i'll hit the reef areas for the jig bite, then pull off into the deeper water & cast weapons for spawned out females, sunny days are best with the surface water warming by early afternoon... good areas to try are north of cone and flatrock also northeast of niagara halfway to green island. fish are suspended usually 5 to 10 feet down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default both jigs and harnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Cmefish24 View Post
    im goin out this weeknd thats why i wanted to know but if jigging isnt producing too much ill probly drag a weapon/ worm harness along the bottem in hopes that a fish will hit it.
    thanks again for all the help guys
    We are getting into the transition to worms. We took fish in different ways over the weekend. Bare jigs, jigs tipped with worms or minnows and bottom bouncers with harnesses are a worm. Water temp is 53-55. Walleye ares still on top of the reefs as well as the surrounding deeper edges and did see some suspended 10-12 feet off bottom. Actively feeding, taking the whole jig in the mouth. Males spewing milk says its still happening but the water temp says the end of the spawn is near.
    High winds over the weekend didnt stop the bite as the fish are hungry.
    Walleye average size varied from 21-27.5 inch all weekend.
    Reef tops early morning , short drifts to stay on the hot spots is key.
    A few open dates available in May and June. This Sunday is open also.
    Call or PM
    Attached Images Attached Images Made a weapon!!!-0422121143a-jpg 
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worms

ok im gonna try the weapons if i go out and ill jig too thanks again for the tips.