Friday the 13th Friday the 13th Friday the 13th Friday the 13th
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friday the 13th

Post Thanks / Like

hey island runner in the long list of thing you gave him without even a thank you . i noticed you forgot to mention the 6 pack of beer . after a day and a half im sure you could of used that 6 pack .

Post Thanks / Like

The six pack was the cheapest thing, probably why it slipped my mind. And damn right $50 was a hell of a deal. I wasn't trying to break even, just recoup a little. I am not rich by any means but am fortunate to have a good paying job that I work damn hard at. I knew he couldn't afford splitting fuel 50/50 but thought he could pay something at least sometimes. Anyone else I have ever had out would either pay without asking or at least ask how much the trip would cost before we headed out. Some would buy groceries beer bait for the weekend. As long as people tried to help I never mind how little it may be. Sometimes I come out ahead, but mostly I do it for fun and friendship. Most people don't mind paying their share. Some though will always try to find a way around paying for anything. I guess its just how the world goes round.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, broke at the fuel dock...

I have a little sticker in my personal aircraft, it says: "This airplane runs on fuel, not thanks"
    You need a similar one for your boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea Bryan, agreed. I saw a bumper sticker once that read " Grass, Gas, or Ass... No one rides for free." Thought about trying to find one but figured if I ever get boarded the officers wouldn't find it too funny.

Post Thanks / Like

The really sad thing is that this dude has a very well paying job, well over 100 grand a year. Acts like he can't afford a few bucks for gas, bait or food. It is really not about the money but the principle, when he said to me that it would cost me the same amount no matter if I took him along or went by myself so he couldn't see why I had said that usually people donate something for gas,bait or food. That was the last straw! Just an offer of $20.00 for fuel would have satisfied me, it would have shown me that he was somewhat grateful. I am not in the business of getting paid but boats are expensive to own and operate and he did have a day on the lake free of charge. Back to the start of last Friday, I did not invite him, he just showed up at my home and wanted to go fishing, I am retired, so with nothing else to do, we went fishing.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Guys...those kind of folks aren't friends. I call them sponges! You both have more patience then I do. I am always the first to help someone but treat me like that once and we are DONE.

Wakina as you know April 1st was the first time I had ever launched at Deep Creek. When we came out of the Toussaint river there it was so shallow I was concerned about getting back in if the wind picked up. I was showing less than 3 F.O.W. so what happens if it's a north wind blowing 3 to 4's?
    North or NE brings the water up quite a bit but the water between those large wave tops will allow your boat to bottom out in the sand with a thud so it can be a real P. I. A. when going out or returning.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Feeling a bit used ?

I've been self employed over 20 years and deal with the general public for most of the time, I've found that the folks that have the least will give the shirt off their back to help any one out, and those that have the most will cry about the price of just about anything I think they are above us everyday working folks! Just like a good garden it's time to weed these people out and let them pay their own way threw life. GREAT REPORTS FROM ALL THE MEMBERS HERE KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!! tight lines to all PAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 32 ft coastal wellcraft

Your boat sounds awsome but it sounds like you fish alone alot in that big 32footer so have you ever considered downsizing to something that would use less gas or have a smaller second 18-20 foot aluminum boat for those days when you don't need such a large boat. $200 a day in gas would do in most fisherman (or their ol lady would do them in first). Filling up on a regular basis must be brutal. But then with Erie there always is a trade off with too little (safety issues) vs too big a boat (cost of gas). Anyone else out there with this same situation who has 2 boats for this reason? So what is the perfect size boat all around for erie fishing ?21 ?22 ?23 ?24 footer. I am curious on someone's opinion as to the one size fits all boat for Erie that fits safety needs and economy needs. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

CATCHNRELEASE, at this time in my life I would not consider downsizing. I completely updated every system in my boat. 2 new engines, 2 new transmissions, new wheels, all new wiring thru entire boat, new electronics, pretty much a new boat mechanically. I need this size of boat because I live 150+ miles from the lake and use the boat as a lake cottage as well as a fishing boat. But yea, with twin 195 gallon fuel tanks, filling up is brutal. I average .73mpg and that $200 a day fishing is a bare minimum. And the wife loves the boat. Lucky for me! We even were married on my boat. I had it before we met and I told her before we got married that my boat takes every extra penny I have to use and maintain it. She works full time as do I, but we agreed my money is my money, your money is your money. I pay all bills and her only bill is her Cadillac. She has no room or reason to complain.

And yes, I fish alone alot. More so than with others. My wife fished alot with me last year but still doesn't like it when it gets rough. She is pregnant at the moment and probably won't make to many trips up to the lake with me this year.

And in my opinoin, a 24-27 footer with a single small block or twin outboards would be the most economical, if there is such a thing as an economical boat. I imagine thats why most of the charters you see are running 27' Sportcrafts. Being I use mine to stay in for days at a time, wish it was bigger. There is no way I could afford a bigger boat, but its always nice to dream!
    Last edited by Island Runner; 04-19-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Response

Makes sense as you stay in your boat too. I do the 180 mile commute one way to get there so I burn $150 in gas in the truck alone driving back and forth just towing a 17.5 ft aluminum boat and $30 a day in gas for the boat so I guess too I am spending $200 a day also and am fried after fishing all day AND driving 6 hours a day. So never mind you are actually way ahead of the game. Great to have that "boat talk" with the wife UP FRONT which saves a lot of grief down the road. Sounds like a great little lady. Thanks for the reply!