sheep head sheep head sheep head sheep head
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sheep head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

My yellow lab has allergies pretty bad...have her on a 'plain' diet. She loves it when I bring home drum. Boned out and boiled is a great treat for her. Beats milk bones. I fry up my share too, just not as much as hat she gets!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep a big one or two and use them for the "Lucky Stones" in their head. Some women make earrings and jewelry out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot all about those lucky stones. My grandpa use to keep a couple every now and again to cut those out when I was kid. Good memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishOn205 View Post
    just for the record i think sheep head suck! they are fun fighting fish but all they are is a dissapointment. there has to be something they are good for and if any one has any ideas of how htye can be used we need to pass the word so maybe the fisherman can help to thin em out a little bit. when ever they are caught they just get thrown back. shoould there be a tournament every year around this time or can ya eat em (yuck) i dont know maybe they are good.
    Actually they are quite good !! But they must be eaten fresh, where most people get turned off by sheepshead is they try to freeze them like other gamefish and the meat becomes mush when thawed and cooked. They are a delicate white meat fish that must be eaten same day. Have had them many times, in the old days a popular treat was to cut them in small strips and boil the meat, then dip into shrimp cocktail sauce..."poor mans shrimp" as they were known.

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

Try this link below for sheep head recipes. I tried a couple on the grill last year and they were actually very good, a lot like red drum, but they can't be frozen.

I definitely do not agree with killing native species including sheep head. That is not sportsman like and actually displays an ignorance of the issues. The walleye population is not down because of sheep head but because of low walleye fry recruitment each spring, not because of the sheep head population. This level of walleye population is considered maintenance by the ODNR and is normal. If we were to push for anything in my opinion it would be halting commercial fishing in the US and in Canada and putting a stop to snagging walleye off their spawning beds every spring. Any way enough politics, try the link below.

http://www.ohioseagrant.osu.edu/_doc...er%20catch.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

thanx fisheye i am interested in trying some of the recipes ill post it on here on how it comes out. going out saturday in search of some perch ill post the results. good luck to all