weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th weather/wind question for April 15-17th
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default weather/wind question for April 15-17th

group of us heading over for Sat and Sun. looks like winds on Friday/Saturday aren't favorable. My question to those who have had more experience in the Western Basin: What wind speeds from the SE or S would make this unfishable? at 20-25 mph does the direction matter???? I have guys driving 14 hours to fish and I don't want them to waste precious gas money if we can't even get on the water.

I have an 18.5 ft fiberglass boat.Is fishing in 3ft waves even possible with this?

thanks guys/gals

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 18.5' Lund Grand Sport Tyee and wouldn’t try it, the lake will be chocolate milk and 4-6' that's a dangerous situation with the cold water.
    Safety first!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 28' hard top and I am not going fishing this weekend. Not worth it, and since I only live 2.5 hours away and fish Erie frequently, there will be other days. To answer your question, I would imagine that it will be "fishable" in very close to shore with the SW winds. It will not be pleasent to fish in and in a small boat it could turn dangerous very quickly. If you are coming up anyway and want to fish, I would reccommend hitting a head boat if they are running, or maybe a private charter between davis besse and the maumee river.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stay Home

Follow the advice on the board...stay home. It's just not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys. It's what I didn't want to hear but figured on. we were just hoping to go out of wild wings and fish 1 mile or so off shore and jig our limit early. But the winds on Friday won't help the water clarity either. Just got the boat this winter. I guess it will have to wait another week or so. Do you suppose the jig bite will still be good then? It sounds like it hasn't been hot yet anyway. !#@$ing weather this winter/spring is starting to get real old.

Thanks again. I'm off to break the horrible news to my brother and friends.

Post Thanks / Like

unless the forecast changes and it gets really hot real quick, we will probably be jigging into the beginning of may. Was out last saturday and my sonar/gps was showing surface temps of about 39 everywhere. Forecast so far have pretty much 50's thru next week with a hint of 60's possible. Not enough to warm up the water too quick. The jig bite should be on fire next weekend.