Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller16 View Post
I believe they should drop the 6 fish limit down to 4 I'm from Buffalo New York and I'm an avid fisherman (and soon to be charter captain) on our end of the lake and wish they would drop our limit to 3 or 4 fish we are at 5 per day. Also we as fisherman as a whole take way too many fish out of the lake every year to sustain this fishery. I fish the Port Clinton area off south bass island the first week of may every year its sickining to see how many fish that are brought off the lake to the fish cleaning area where we stay. I also think the ODNR needs to crack down on these guys that take double and triple limits a day.
You could be right on the desire to lower the limit, are definately right about those who make 3 or 4 trips in one day taking a limit or more each trip, they hopefuly will be caught and get a huge fine. I am not posting here to be critical of your thoughts on this matter, as we both want the same thing, more walleyes to catch. But there must be another factor at play here much larger than possible over fishing, because after the 2003 hatch became old enough to spawn there were aprox. 30,000,000 (30 million) breeding fish available to carry on the population. There has not been a hatch since 2003 that has been much above average if even that good. My question is why? It certainly was not due to the lack of adult spawning fish for the next several years. With 30 million fish playing whoopee out there one would think that something else is at play here instead of over fishing. These are just my thoughts on the matter.